Chapter One

Henley

Henley

"I don't think I'm going to go to class today," I told Ariana, glancing at Bennett's office door. He'd disappeared in there with both Lee and the man claiming to be their father a few minutes earlier.

She nodded, wide-eyed. "Uh. I can see why."

"Sorry, I made you drive all the way here for nothing."

"I can bring her," Sebastian offered, but he looked as unsure as I felt about leaving the hotel.

"I drove myself, Seb," Ariana reminded him. Then she grinned. "Thanks though."

He half-smiled at her but folded his arms over his chest, gaze flicking toward the office door. "Right. No worries."

"I wanted to talk to you about something, Henley," she said, turning back to me, frowning a little. "But I think what's going on with Bennett is more important. If I don't see you tomorrow, I'll see you in class on Thursday. I just want your opinion on something. Nothing bad."

Sebastian straightened up as she spoke and I didn't miss the apprehension on his face. What did she want to talk about? Something she didn't want Sebastian knowing about? I was curious, but if it wasn't an immediate issue, I could wait. We said our goodbyes and Sebastian watched her the entire time until she was out of sight.

"Do you think she decided to date Brandon?" he asked immediately after she left.

"What?" I responded, almost choking on air. "No, I don't think so. Brandon would be bragging about it constantly."

"That's true," Sebastian said, but still seemed perturbed.

"Instead of waiting around and seeing what will happen, why don't you just ask Ariana out first?" I asked.

Sebastian scuffed his shoe on the polished floor, looking down. "Well. Brandon and I have decided to play fairly."

"Play?" I repeated flatly.

"Not like that," Sebastian corrected quickly. "It's not a game. I just mean that we will let Ariana decide. If she even wants to."

"So, what? You two made a pact not to go after her or something?"

"We just agreed we wouldn't put pressure on her. Or one-up each other."

"Does she even know you like her?" I asked. "Either of you?"

"I think so." He paused. "Maybe."

I rubbed my forehead. "Oh my God."

"She at least knows Brandon likes her. He makes it obvious." Sebastian hunched his shoulders a bit. "Too obvious."