Chapter Four

Bennett

Bennett

"You seem happy."

I jumped, a picture frame containing a photo of me and Henley slipping from my hands. I managed to catch it before it hit the floor and I placed it on my desk again, looking up with a scowl to see my father closing my office door behind him, a briefcase in his hand.

My father...

It was strange to even think of those words. A man I'd thought had been dead all these years was alive and well before me.

"Why are you here?" I asked.

"I was hoping to check in on Lee."

"You're in my office."

My father frowned, put off by my responses. "Bennett."

"What did you say to him to make him so upset?" I asked, pushing myself up from my seat. "I don't know what you're expecting of me, but you're essentially a stranger to me. Lee and I were just getting our lives back together and then you showed up only to disrupt them again."

My father gave me a look that reminded me too much of myself. "I told your brother something he should have known a long time ago. I don't know the extent of what your mother put you through—"

"No, you don't."

"Bennett, do you think I left you two alone because I wanted to?" he asked, folding his arms over his chest.

"I don't know what to think," I responded thinly. "But maybe instead of appearing out of nowhere and upsetting Lee, you should have approached us with more consideration."

Guilt flickered on my father's face. "I thought what I told him would make him feel better."

"Obviously you were wrong."

"No, I don't think I am. I just think he needs time to process this and come to terms with it. I think it's better for him to know."

"Don't speak as if you know him."

My father ran a hand through his hair. "I was going to let your brother tell you on his own accord, but I guess you won't have a conversation with me if you don't know what's going on."

I leveled him with a flat look. "I'll wait for Lee to tell me."

"Lee is not your mother's son."

"...What?"

"A few months after Lee was born, his mother died in an accident. Then shortly after that I met your mother. I asked her if we could raise Lee to believe that she's his birth mother because I wanted Lee to experience having a complete family," my father explained. "She agreed immediately and I thought everything would be okay. However, I would have never asked her to do that if I knew what kind of person she would end up being."