Chapter Two

"Oh, Bennett, I forgot to give you this," I said, handing him his father's business card

He stared down at it, mouth open, about to take a bite of his mashed potatoes. He set the fork down. "Did you have to bring that up while we're eating?"

My eyes widened and I retracted the business card. "Oh. Oops."

"And people said I was ignorant," he said, eyebrows raised.

"Maybe I'm picking up your bad habits."

"I only have good habits, Henley."

I tried to think of a bad habit to point out, but couldn't think of one light-hearted enough. Most of Bennett's bad habits were from trauma. I couldn't fault him on them. Nor would I want to.

"I will take that, though," he said, holding out his palm. "Even if I don't want to speak with him, Lee is much more soft-hearted than I am, and most likely will want to."

"Has Lee contacted you yet?" I slid the card over to him. "Henry said he hasn't been home."

"No." Bennett frowned. "But I am sure if I texted him he would respond. Right now, though, I think we should give him space."

"Yeah, I agree. Poor Henry, though."

"It is strange that Lee would avoid Henry. I know that you are always the first person I want to see when I feel upset."

I thought it was weird, too. Wasn't it natural to want comfort from your partner? It hurt to be shut out. But I could also understand wanting to deal with things alone.

"Were your professors okay with you missing class today?" he asked, completely changing the topic.

I went along with it. "Yeah, I e-mailed them and said there was an emergency. It's fine. I can just make up their work," I explained. "Ariana said she'd share her notes with me."

Bennett picked up his knife, contemplating it. "I wish this hadn't interfered in your studies. I know that they're important to you and you already feel behind compared to everyone else."

"It's one absence. I'm allowed four. And you're more important to me than perfect attendance."

"I had perfect attendance in college," he told me.

I smiled wryly. "That's great. Good job."

True to his nature, Bennett nodded, missing my sarcasm. "Thank you. I think it reflects positively on yourself for future opportunities."

"Is that so?"

"There is a reason why some employment questionnaires ask about your attendance."

"And does your company look into that?"

He nodded. "Yes, for the entry-level hotel employees. For higher positions, we base off of previous job attendance through references."

"Hmm, then I wonder what my boss would say about me missing a day of class," I wondered out loud, taking a sip of my water. "I heard he had perfect attendance."