Chapter Nineteen

Bennett

Bennett

My alarm went off and set a pounding headache off in my head. I blindly felt around for my phone, grabbing Henley's arm by accident. I cracked open my eye to see her sleeping beside me. She jerked her arm away from me, roughly turning on her side, making an unhappy grunt. My alarm kept going off and I reached for it again, this time locating it, and sliding the alarm off.

My eyes burned as I took in the time— 7:00 AM. I must have slept through an hour of alarms. Startled, I sat up quickly, making my vision swim. Why did I drink so much? Especially when I had to work the next day. And work was sure to be hectic with the news of Lee resigning... Lee...

I paused. This was all Lee's fault. That jerk. He drank all night because he knew he'd be quitting and could call in without any concern. And left me to nurse a hangover while also dealing with the fact I needed to find a replacement for him. After all I'd done for him...

Mildly annoyed now, I hauled myself out of bed, muttering to myself. Henley flipped over and I glanced at her to see her glaring at me. I held up my hands defensively. Right. She didn't have work today and could sleep in. I walked over to her side of the bed and made a show of tucking her in and kissing her forehead before heading to her bathroom to shower.

Part of me missed staying in my own house, but the part that worried for Henley overruled it. I could stay at Henley's house for the rest of my life if it meant she'd be safe.

I showered and changed and kissed Henley one more time before heading into the kitchen to fill a water bottle to bring to work. Brandon was up and eating a bowl of cereal and a bowl of oatmeal, watching Youtube on his phone, a spoon in each hand for each meal.

I stopped for a moment. Somehow he never failed to throw me off guard.

"Hey," he said without looking up.

"Good morning," I responded, reaching into the cabinet for a clean water bottle.

I heard the scraping of a bowl being pushed across the table. "Want some?"

I glanced over my shoulder, seeing the oatmeal bowl pushed in my direction, wet oats sticking to the spoon in his hand still. "No... thank you."

Eyes still glued to the screen, he shrugged, and pulled the bowl back. "Suit yourself."

"Do you have work today?" I asked, bringing the water bottle over to the sink to fill it.

"Nope. I took the day off."

"That's nice," I said distractedly, putting the cap on the water bottle, suddenly hit with an intrusive thought that I never even should have considered in the first place.

Could Brandon possibly replace Lee...?

Brandon burped loudly with absolutely no regard for anyone and then wiped his mouth with the back of his hand instead of grabbing a napkin on the table and my brain immediately corrected itself. No. He could not.