Chapter Twenty-One

Bennett

Bennett

Ten meetings, five more interviews, lunch with the board, one-hundred e-mails to respond to...

I stared down at the meeting schedule on my iPad, trying to mentally organize the other tasks I had to do. Henry stood beside me quietly, hands clasped together in front of himself. It gave me a bit of nostalgia to have him back at my side again.

I hadn't decided on a job for him yet, so he was temporarily my second assistant. Considering Lee's abrupt departure, I figured it would be fine to allot the funds to this for now. Henley had picked up more classes for the next semester, so there was a chance this could become Henry's permanent position, anyway, depending on what Henley wanted to do.

"I truly hope one of these candidates at least passes the first round of interviews," I said wearily, placing the iPad back down on my desk.

"There are two from within the company already," Henry pointed out.

"That doesn't mean anything. I've already passed over ten other people from the company."

Henry frowned. "That's true."

"Maybe I'm being too picky. I just compare everyone to Lee. There's just no one like him," I said, rubbing my forehead.

Now Henry smiled. Soft, and full of affection. "True. There is no one like him."

I gave him a dry smile. "I'm strictly speaking of his work effort."

"And my response remains the same."

My eyes narrowed a bit. "Why do I feel like you're insinuating something?"

Henry shrugged casually. "If you are, there must be something in your mind that thinks I would be insinuating something."

"You're quite different now, Henry."

"I am more confident with myself and my abilities now," he said.

I leaned back in my chair, folding my arms over my chest. "Is that so?"

"Considering my direct competition for this spot, especially so."

"Now that's just mean," I said, feeling the need to instinctively defend Henley. "She has only been working here for a few months."

Henry grinned, taking the iPad from my desk. "I'm not saying it in a mean way. I just have ten years on her. So, if she's not doing anything wrong, I'm definitely not."

"Uh-huh..."

"You'll be late for your meeting if you don't start getting ready," Henry advised me, glancing at the watch on his wrist, and not the iPad that had switched on.