35: Let's Give Them a Show

|Maxwell|

***Warning, violence***

The moment Natalie was out of my view, I crumbled. Worry, sickening worry flooded my body and mind. It made me sick to my stomach. Lately I've been out training late into the night so I didn't have to face her. I am trying to be strong for the both of us. I couldn't keep my food down to such fear. The pack doctors were worried I was pushing myself to much and I needed to calm down so I can keep food down and retain that strength. Yet, I didn't listen to orders. I need to live tomorrow, to see the smiling face of my mate and eventually in the future, pups. I want to see a son be as passionate as this pack as I am, rule this pack and see grandkids.

Ryder came in not too short after Natalie left. "How is Desmond holding up," I ask.

He leans against the door frame, folding his arms. "Weak."

"Good, that is what I want to hear."

"How are you holding up?"

"I feel like shit."

Ryder sighs, "we should have just killed him."

"That is going against the law," I growl.

"You are the King."

"By showing a king is willing to go by the law shows he is a go leader and not abusing his power for his own benefit. I want to be a good king and one my people can trust."

He rolls his eyes. "Whatever, the meal is ready and the stadium is packed. News stations from around the globe are here to broadcast it."

What happen to my confidence?

"Let's give them a good show then."

Ryder smirks. "There is my best friend and King, let's go."

Give them a show, all an act. Pretend you are confident, go out with a bang. If not for me, but for Natalie so my name is slandered and so my legacy can live on in positive lighting.

Desmond and I have agreed to fight in our wolf form so he can not try anything shady. This is for a fair fight and my protection. I know Desmond very well and he doesn't fight fair. In fact he's a poor sport when he loses. 

Breakfast is what you'd expect. A lot of nutritious foods and vegetables. This is in hopes of the last few minutes I can gain more nutrition and strength. This breakfast takes place in a banquet hall in the stadium. This is what this stadium was built for, these kind of events.

I did find it odd before I made my appearance, I could still feel the mate bond between Natalie and I. Has she not been given the remedy? She was supposed to received it by now. Questions swirled in my mind about that, but I didn't have time to be distracted.

Leaping from the balcony I stood on, I shift mid air and land on my four paws. The crowd going wild with cheers and excitement. Those cheers turn to boos of hatred when Desmond is brought out, already shifted.

I snarl a little while his head is up in full confidence knowing he is the underdog. I have the upper hand, this is my territory I know the land. I know this arena. His head looks around before setting on a location and then looking back at me, a smirk on his wolf's face.

"Welcome to the event everyone has been waiting for," the narrator voice booms through the speakers. "Today we'll witness the King, Alpha Maxwell in the challenge demanded by the removed Alpha, Desmond."

I feel the ground below my paws, clenching and unclenching it.

"And final words of retreat or apologies before we start?"

We both shake our heads.

"Then let us begin. Please retreat to opposite sides and corners."

We do so and wait for the cue which is a bell ringing. When the bell sounds we leave our corners and circle in the dusty dirt. The dust rising as we circle, but I could still see my opponent who didn't look too effected by the starvation and beatings.

Desmond lunges through the dust opening his mouth and bearing his teeth. His growl his heard around the entire stadium even without the speakers. It rips through the atmosphere as powerful as it was, I wasn't startled. He is doing this to scare me, it's all a mask, making his true self for he isn't that strong.

I step to the side and allow him to land, confused on where I am. I grab his neck in my mouth and bite, deep. Blood drips from the wound. Shaking my head back and fourth, I release him and watch him go through the air. His landing is rough when he skips like a rock and lands on his side, sliding.

I walk to him and watch him extend his claws and take a swipe at my face, getting one of my eyes. I weaver away shocked and in pain.

He took that chance to attack and he pins me below him. I struggle to focus with this pain in my eye and now being below and vulnerable to my opponent. I dodge every attempted bite aimed for my neck.

My back legs thrust upwards and I fling him off of me, finally free of his body caging me. I shake off the pain. Down an eye, I had to be careful. I lost half of my sight.

I wait for him to come to me, I don't come to him this time. He charges at me, his teeth baring and he grabs me in his jaws. A deep bite, blood gushing. Right when I thought he was going to drop me, my body enters shock. Something enters through my back and leaves me numb and the crowd falls silent when my body drops. Desmond stands over my, blood dripping from his jaws.

Whatever entered my body it makes my whole body numb and weak. I was going in out of consciousness from the blood loss. Before my world become dark and quiet I saw them take Desmond away and my body being picked up. It was painful but I felt the doctor force my shift back into my human body.

My ears ringing and my body aching. Although I fought in my wolf form the injuries carried onto my human form due to the seriousness and extremity of the wounds. They needed to be treated right away or I'd meet my end. I needed blood.

I need my Mate.

"Natalie," I call out before the blackness consumes my vision.

~~~

Good morning everyone! I hope you are having a great week! This is my second update this week and I'm quite proud of myself for updating twice.

*note* I am not good at writing fight scenes.

I hope you all have a safe and wonderful week!

~Becca, The Queen of Beans