18: Safety

|Natalie|

I lay back on the couch hearing the irritating voices of the advisors that I am getting so tired of hearing. Just hearing their chatter makes my head want to explode, only one can deal with these old men for so long. I believe I have met my limit with hanging around these old men. Sadly, I'm going to be stuck with all these old men until they step down.

"How was the planning, my Queen," I hear Max ask and sit down beside me, setting my legs on his lap.

"Horrible," I bark. "It would've been nice if you warned me last night or this morning."

He shrugs. "Thought it'd be a nice surprise."

"Max, I didn't agree to all this so quickly. As much as I love you, this is all too sudden."

"I want to secure your position if I die in the challenge."

"But you won't!"

"You don't know that! No one knows how this battle will play out. Desmond is dangerous and always has a trick or two up his sleeve. I know he is going to pull something during it. This is for both of our safeties."

"I'll be fine."

He shakes his head. "Who knows what he'd do to you if he become king. I can't allow that. I won't be able to forgive myself if something happened to you and I could've stopped it."

How he is speaking, this isn't going to be a normal challenge. It sounds like it is going to be a fight to the death. In which one has to die for the challenge to be over or they can be severely wounded where they can't fight anymore. They can forfeit at that point in time or let the other finish them off. Knowing Desmond he'll not forfeit, he'd rather die than be a prisoner of the royal family.

Max would be more than happy to have Desmond as his prisoner. Desmond would be his trophy for his victory. This is common in the royal family to keep your losing opponent as a live trophy. Many King's have done it before and Max won't miss that opportunity. If it was up to me I would've killed him eight there on the spot. No hesitation. Sadly that isn't how the court system works and we have to go through the process. Also we have to punish accordingly and we have to accept any challenge that comes our way.

"And what were you so busy doing," I tease.

"I was busy planing your transition into power. It is a long and tedious process. You'll have to learn protocol and what not," he tells.

"You're joking, right?"

He shakes his head. "This process is sacred. To get from point A to B is a lot."

"Which is?"

"Obviously point A is the marking ceremony. Then the mating ceremony and lastly is introducing you to the pack. After the pack accepts you, I will have to announce to the whole kingdom of you arrival. From there grand parties and many alphas will come visit and meet you. This will determine a lot if they like you or not. So this is why you must learn protocol so you don't say something wrong or offensive to an alpha."

"Why does all that matter," I whine.

"Because one thing that doesn't offend one alpha from say the East may offend one from the south."

"I see."

He clear his throat. "We- we also talked about your safety plan if he becomes King."

"Plan?"

He nods. "The plan is to hid you until it is safe for you to come out and reclaim your position as queen. This is for your safety, so he can't find you once he takes over. Goddess knows what he'll do to you if he becomes king."

"So what is the plan?"

He swallows hard. "You'll be moved to a safe house deep in the forest or an allying pack will take you in. You'll remain safe under their care. Your residence will be protected by a spell and it will also be hidden. The spell casted will make it invisible with the magical force field."

I silent pray to the goddess that we won't need to use this plan. I don't want to go into hiding because my mate is dead. Can you imagine? When an Alpha dies there is a big mourning period and I'll have to go through it alone. Alone and potentially pregnant with no comfort since I can't be seen leaving or entering the residence. This is just in case the pack I take shelter in has a loyal member to Desmond and rats me out.

But for now, we must take it one step at a time and be hopeful that by the end of this, I'm standing by my mate and not a pig.

~~~

Hello! Sorry about the late update. I've been trying to get more chapters up, but school work keeps piling up. Sadly my senior trip was completely called off so my family and I will venture down to Walt Disney world when it's safe again. As for the rest of my senior year, that is unknown.

Thank you for the continuing support and patience for this book!

I hope you all have a wonderful week and are staying safe!

~Becca, The Queen of Beans