37: Maxwell

|Natalie|

With some of the warriors standing guard around the mansion and the office. I look around for anything that could help me. I had no clue how to run a pack on my own. It was too much and I was already stressed as it is. The Beta and Gamma offered their help when I told them about my current situation. While they controlled the pack from the outside of the mansion, I controlled it from the inside. Tying up any lose ends that Max might have left and returning emails that explained his situation. Of course everyone knows what is going on but it isn't professional leaving emails unanswered for so long.

I sigh and lean back in the office chair, basking in the scent of my mate that clings to the chair. I should probably go see him, but I don't know what it's like at the hospital right now. I don't want to get in the way.

"Luna," I soft knock comes followed by Ryder speaking softly.

"Beta Ryder, what have you found," I ask.

"We have found the assassin."

I grin. "Wonderful, and where is he now?"

"He has been taken into custody and is being brought here as we speak."

"Good, give the person their reward who found him. Also, how is Max?"

"I was just about to go and see him. I was curious if you'd like to join me?"

I nod and rise from the desk. "I'd love to."

As much as I wanted to visit Max, I was so scared to see what he looks like. I just hope this isn't the last time I see him alive. I wouldn't want to remember him like this, laid up, unconscious, and severely wounded.

I load up into Ryder's truck and he drives is to the hospital where Maxwell is staying. It's a little bit of a drive, but it's the best hospital in the pack and if anyone can save him, it's them. They have the technology and resources to do so.

Forty five minutes later we finally pull up the hospital and park. Although we kicked the reporters out from other packs, we still have ours and they tortured us the entire time in. Swarming to us like a moth to a flame. It made me claustrophobic with how close they were to us. I could barely make a full step and hospital guards had to clear us a walk way.

All the questions gave me headache, none stop, and coming from every direction.

The hospital staff greets us and silently shows us to Max's room. I hate the sterilized scent of hospitals, it makes me sick and at unease with this situation.

"He's in here," the nurse speaks softly.

"Thank you," I respond and open the door.

There lays my mate hooked up to all kinds of machines and covered in wounds that were wrapped. My heart broke.

I pull up a seat to the bed side, as does Ryder.

"Oh, I wasn't expecting him to have visitors today," the doctor tells as he enters the room.

"Sorry we didn't inform you," Ryder tells with an eye roll.

"My Queen, the King is slowly making progress. Yet, we do not if or when he'll wake up."

"If?"

"Sadly, that is a possible outcome. With the severity of his wounds he may not make it. I'm sorry, my Queen."

I sit there with my mouth hanging open. "How is his progress?"

"His wounds are healing. We are much more concerned about his eye healing properly more than anything. We thought we almost lost him, well we almost did until you returned to the pack territory. Since then his condition has been stable and improving."

"Almost lost him?"

He nods. "You see he went in for surgery and we found said silver bullet lodged in his back, but it was coated in a poison made specifically to bring down the strongest of Alphas'. Do not worry, the bullet didn't puncture anything important."

What a relief.

"We had to force him to shift or else he would've died if he remained in his wolf form. His wolf was wounded the worst, he is also healing. Both are healing well, but it will be time until he awakens."

"Thank you, doctor," I mumble.

"If there is anything else you need just ring, until then I have to see to my other patients."

"Hold on, is there any chance I can set up an office in here? I want to be here when he wakes up."

He looks at the nurse who is nodding. "There is more than enough room, I'd be happy to help you set up," she tells.

"Thank you."

~~~

Happy Friday! I hope you enjoy this chapter! As much as it saddens me this book is coming to an end, I'm excited to finish my first book! Once again thank you so much for the support, I love you all!

This week is my final week of spring semester so I'm excited about that!

I hope you all have a safe and wonderful weekend!

~Becca, The Queen of Beans