2: True Mate

|Alpha Maxwell|

For now I had everything cleared up. I decided to take my mom to dinner, there is a really nice restaurant down the street from here. Of course it's still in my pack. I have the biggest pack in the wolf community. My pack alone makes up almost half of the wolf population. I know I promised her breakfast, but tomorrow was the hotel opening. We'd have no time to get to the hotel and have breakfast. I was asked to be there for the new hotel opening.

Father said he'd meet us there. Easier for me since they live two hours away, maybe he was in town and just didn't tell me.

A little waitress walks to our table. Her curly chocolate syrup color hair up in a ponytail. Her green eyes beamed at us.

"My name is Natalie, I'll be taking care of you this evening. What can I get you to drink," she asks.

"Actually, we are waiting for someone. I'll take a Ice tea with a lemon, please," I tell.

"I'll take a tea, please," mom smiles.

"I'll have those right out," She smiles.

"Thank you."

We sat waiting for dad to arrive. Eventually he comes, looking rushed and aged as ever. He talks to me about his time as alpha and gives me a little more pointers. I have been Alpha for a year and a half now. Still learning. It's easier than I thought though.

Natalie walks back over and sets the drinks on the table. Her arm grazed mine ever so slightly. She lets out a yelp at the sparks. My true mate.

"I'm so sorry, Alpha," She mumbles embarrassed at the little ice tea spilled.

"It's alright," I tell her.

"I hope everything else is okay. Are you ready to order..." she avoids all eye contact, sticking her nose in her order book.

"We need a little more time," dad tells her.

She nods, fleeing the scene.

"What was that all about," mom asks, looking up from her menu.

"My mate," I feel my wolf threatening to surface.

His need to mark our mate was almost too much to keep him down. He growls out and lashes at me for pushing him down. We have waited so long for our mate, he can wait a little longer. Just a little longer. Even I was having a hard time keeping myself put.

"Calm down," mom chuckles.

"I'm trying, I can't keep him down," I murmur.

"Just a little longer," dad chuckles.

My wolf howls out as her scent nears. My eyes land on her and watch her like prey. Once again he is threatening to break free, my beast wanting to take our mate right now. I've had a hard time taming since I was young. Now that our mate is here I really can't keep him down. I just need him to stay in the back of my mind for the rest of my night. I need to find that strength just for a little longer.

"Are- are you ready to order," Natalie returns to our table, a little more anxious than before.

"I think we are," I confirmed to her.

"Okay, what will you have, sir," She once again avoids my gaze.

"I'll have the bacon cheddar stuffed burger. Everything on it, please," I tell.

The rest of them ordered and once again it seemed as if she ran from the awkward and tense situation.

"Poor girl. What a horrible first impression," mom sighs.

I have to admit though, I feel bad for her too. What a horrible way to meet your mate and his family. Working as the waitress and having to keep serving them. Spilling the drink a little is the worst.

"Max, I want you to talk to her before we leave. Invite her to the hotel opening tomorrow. She can be one of your guests," mom suggests.

"Actually, it's his Luna," dad says in a duh tone.

"I will, Mom," I sigh.

"Hopefully she makes you stop working so hard and staying up late," mom chuckles.

I pout like a child, "it's my job, mother."

"I know. I just love teasing you."

I roll my eyes.

"Hey! Don't roll your eyes at me!"

"Sorry, Mom."

The smell of our food and my intoxicating mate lingered in the air as she neared us with our food. I was licking my lips more over the smell of my mate than the food. She quickly handed out the food, hiding her face once again.

"Anything else," She asks quickly.

"Yeah, your number," I lean on the table, showing off my muscles.

"I'm on duty right now, Alpha."

"I don't see that as an excuse."

She goes to say something, her mouth quickly shutting. "After."

That seemed to please me and my wolf, since now he calms down and sits in my mind, patiently waiting.

Later, we finish our dinners and I sit patiently waiting for her to come get the check. Mom and dad are waiting in the car.

"Thank you, Alpha," Natalie whispers as she grabs the check trying to escape the scene.

"Natalie, sit," I motion to the booth in front of me.

"Alpha, I'm working. My boss won't be happy."

"Sit. Who cares? I am his boss. I'm his alpha. Besides, you probably won't be working here for much longer."

She rolls her eyes, "I'm going to give you my number. Alright?"

"Why are you pushing me away? I'm your mate. Your true mate."

"I know. I just don't know if I'm ready for another relationship. You see I had a mate. He hurt me, he didn't love me and ousted me in front of the entire pack. It was embarrassing and I don't know if I am mentally ready for another relationship."

"He shoulds like a piece of shit, how long were you two togther?"

She taps her lip thinking for a moment. "Three, maybe four years."

I shake my head. "It is his own loss then, but it is my gain and yours. Your old mate was an Alpha, no?"

She nods causing me to grin. "Well, I am one as well and I protect you from him. He wouldn't dare try and come for you once he hears you are mate."

She chuckles. "And why is that?"

Oh, Natalie you have a lot to learn in this short time I am being given.

"Because no one fucks with me, I am a no nonsense Alpha you see. All the Alphas' no not to mess with me."

"And if he challenges you for me?"

"He'll be a fool to do so. He can not come on to my land just to declare a challenge. There are certain rules and it doesn't matter who he is."

"Even if he is really important?"

Who was her past mate anyways?