I. A Suspicious Job

The Aegis Awakens

//Chapter One: A Suspicious Job//

Her ocean-blue eyes glanced hesitantly into the cloudy sea, as she seemingly waited for something. "Stop worrying, Rega. Rex'll be fine." A light-sounding female voice said into the woman's ear. The woman flinched in response before looking over her shoulder at the flying form of her companion.

"I know. Patience just.. isn't my best attribute... You would know, Eva."

"Of course. But I can tell you're worried."

"Just a little... After all, Rex is still a child."

Eva nodded, her light blue wings flapping noisily until she perched herself on the woman's shoulder. "You're lucky you're so light, or you'd probably break my shoulder. Even though I'm wearing armor."

Eva let a snort in response, "I'm smaller than a six-year-old child, yet you're surprised that I weigh so little?"

The woman shook her head, "Of course not. We've been together for many years, but you are certainly a unique-looking Blade."

Eva was indeed unique, mainly in her face she resembled a fairy, yet she was of the ice factor. Her outfit gave hints to her element, but blades that resembled fairies were normally of the earth or wind element. Eva had snow-white hair that was cut below her chin, which allowed for her pointed ears to be visible. She wore a light blue dress with a dark blue ribbon laced around her neck.

The dress was a tad revealing, but Eva either did not seem to care or she was just completely oblivious to it. Her Driver, a small elven woman, was wearing light green armor. The armor was nowhere close to being heavy, for it was a very light set of armor. Clearly, she would be inadequately protected against someone attacking her head-on.

Her hair also looked like it would be unsuitable for fighting, as its length was down to the small of her back. This being, the pearly mass would get in the way more times than not.

"Rex is back!" Eva suddenly cheered out excitedly, and she flew off her Driver's shoulder only to perch herself on someone else's shoulder.

"Hey, Eva. I'm in the middle of something here." He stated before he took off his helmet and it hung down on his back.

"Oh, what did Rexy find this time?!!"

Rex flinched as the Blade practically screeched the question into his right ear. "Jeez, back off a bit Eva. You're gonna deafen poor Rex if you keep talking into his ear like that." The woman reprimanded, and she placed her hands on her hips and gave a playful glare towards her Blade.

"Sorry..." Eva apologized before she flew back to give Rex some space.

"How much you get this time?"

"I think it'll be worth a good amount, Regan. Now, to get this thing open."

He grabbed something to pry the container open while Regan spoke to him, "You were gone for a while, Rex. Did anything happen?" Regan questioned, while she tucked a stray piece of her reddish-brown hair behind her ear.

The boy glanced back at her, "Nothing... much. Except for the fact that the location was too far off."

"How so?"

"The ping was off by 150 peds to the east. That's not gonna fly. Means that we really do need to buy ourselves a new depth probe."

Another voice spoke up this time, "And what about the treasure, Rex? Was it in line with your expectations?"

"It seemed pretty solid. Didn't even have to reinforce it too much," Rex responded as he gripped the crowbar he was holding and approached the container again. "Even with the labor costs, we should be able to turn a decent profit."