XI. Five Hundred Years

*This chapter is unedited, and I'm sorry for not updating this sooner. My editor is not responding to my messages, so I just decided to resume uploading chapters. On archiveofourown I have up to chapter fourteen written, and I'm currently writing chapter Fifteen.*

The Aegis Awakens

//Chapter Eleven: Five Hundred Years//

In spite of the fact that Regan had agreed to test Rex's skills along with Mòrag she could not help but feel a little guilty about it. After all, the fifteen-year-old trusted her and he would probably feel betrayed at her actions. Despite her worry, she knew it was necessary to hone his skills as a Driver. She herself had been lucky to have her uncle, who happened to be a Driver, as her mentor.

Kaevan's Core Crystal had been in her hands for little more than two years now, and she was never able to bring herself to give it to Rex. The risks associated with resonating with a Core Crystal were often not mentioned to the general public; however, being part of the royal family allowed her to know this. Being fully aware of potential dangers, Regan had refrained from allowing Rex to attempt to awaken any Blade.

The Elf had even been successful in this endeavor, until Rex unintentionally bonded with Malos' sword. Of course Malos had to revive Rex afterwards, which resulted in the two of them sharing a life force. Regan was all too familiar with that concept, and the memory of a bloody dagger and red stained hands flasher in her mind.

"You alright?" The familiar sound of Mòrag's voice entering her ears caused Regan to look up. She moved away from the wall she had been leaning against and nodded her head. To be honest, Regan had been too lost in her own thoughts to even hear the other woman approach.

"You appear to contemplating something." Brighid commented, but Regan shook her head.

"It's nothing important... Anyway...how long do you think we have, Mòrag?" The Ardainian thought about it for a moment before she sighed.

"I'd be lying if I said Dughall will keep them busy for long. Perhaps, we have about half an hour until they leave the ship." Considering what she had seen of Dughall so far, the Elf could not help but agree.

"You finished?" Mòrag suddenly asked as she gestured towards the envelope held in one of Regan's hands. The Elf looked down at said envelope in her hand and nodded. She rubbed her thumb over the Ardainian seal, almost wondering if she should even send it. After all that happened with Torna, Regan found herself at a loss for just what exactly she could even tell Raymond.

"It'll be alright. Raymond will understand." The reassurance was honestly unnecessary, but it was comforting nonetheless.

"I know."

•°•°•°•°•°•°•

"Halt!" Nia was less than amused to find that the owner of the voice that interrupted their escape was Dughall.

"Great, another person to delay us..." Malos stated, and he honestly did not think that the man in front of them would be too much of a threat. The only thing Dughall had going for him was the large Blade he had following him. Dughall's Blade wielded a spiked hammer, something that Malos knew would not be a good thing to get hit by.

In response to Malos' statement, the Dughall looked at him. "Ah, you must be the Aegis. I will take you before Mòrag can, so-" The Aegis quickly interrupted, his tone one of annoyance.

"Take me? You realize I have to actually agree to go with you, right?"

Dughall looked visibly taken back, and Rex swiftly spoke before the man could even respond. "Where's Regan? She wasn't in a cell."