III. Life Force Part One

The Aegis Awakens

//Chapter Three; Life Force Part One//

*The first part of this chapter takes place before Regan met Malos in the memory of Elysium.*

With binoculars in hand, Rex started the night watch. He looked out at the cloudy night sky before he suddenly spotted a somewhat familiar vessel following them. "It's the black ship from the harbor... Is it...following us..?" He wondered before someone speaking to him caught his attention.

"Ugh, it's way too cold up here."

It was the Driver girl from earlier, but she did not have her Blade with her this time. "Oh. It's you-" Rex started but was quickly interrupted by her.

"I'll have you know. I've got a name...it's Nia." He honestly already knew that but if she was not going to call him Rex, then he refused to call her by her name.

"They're boozin' below deck...you should join 'em."

Rex raised a brow at her, "Why aren't you there?" He asked and he watched as she turned her back to him.

"It's not that I hate it. I just...really don't need a headache right now." She explained, which caused Rex to let out a light chuckle.

"You're lucky you aren't a salvager then." His words caused Nia to turn around to face him.

"Why's that?"

"The Salvager's Code...swim like a fish and drink like one too." He explained which caused Nia to sigh.

"Ugh...sounds terrible. I don't think I'll be changin' careers." Rex nodded at that before he spoke.

"Probably for the best... Anyway, I bet you drivers make a hell of a lot more than salvagers do!" He commented since Regan had never even told him how much she was making.

"So, kid-"

"My name's Rex."

Nia sighed, "Okay, Rex...why did you start salvaging in the first place?" She asked before she looked in the direction that he was now pointing in.

"That there," Rex said simply, and she almost seemed a bit bewildered at this. "The...World Tree? I don't get it."

"You know, you find all sorts of things digging through salvage... Some of it trash, some of its treasure...but all of it from people long gone." Rex started.

"Have you noticed how there are fewer Titans each day? I saw one go under just the other day. It was a pretty big one. There must've been loads of animals still living on it... Living space is running out day by day. Sooner or later, we'll be the ones sinking down into the Cloud Sea. But up there... Elysium is waiting for us. " Rex finished, but he felt a bit annoyed as Nia started to laugh.

"Seriously, kid? "Elysium"? Don't tell me you believe that guff!" Nia paused for a second and looked genuinely curious for a moment, "So that's, uh...why you're a salvager? It's just a lie for children, and there is just an overgrown shrub!"

Rex, despite feeling annoyed at the dismissal, responded, "If there is a way to get up there, maybe it's hidden below the clouds. Is it really that crazy?"

"Seriously, though...?"

"There's be no need to fight over dwindling land and resources... No need to worry about our homes sinking away... Everyone could have peace and security. I mean, a dream like that... Isn't that worth believing in?"

"No one can tell you what to believe but..." She trailed off, but she instead said something else. "Hmm... "everyone", huh...? I always thought people were pretty selfish by nature. But you..."