XXI. Maddie

The Aegis Awakens

//Chapter Twenty-one: Maddie//

Walking back to the training area, Regan paused as she saw Vandham and Rex talking. Both Malos and Ethan seemed intrigued as well, and they followed her to the crate Rex was sitting on. "He brought me back from the dead, gave half his life force to save mine," The Leftherian explained to the mercenary leader.

Malos stopped at the fifteen-year-old's words, even though he knew Rex was unaware of them sharing injuries. Even still, it made the Aegis a bit uncomfortable to hear the boy talking about their situation. Vandham appeared to be a very observant person, so part of the Blade worried that the Urayan would figure out the truth.

"Huh, so that's why you've got that Core Crystal in the center of your chest? I thought it was just a decoration or something."

The kid shook his head, "It shows what he did for me. Malos saved my life, so I want to take him home to Elysium." 

Malos’ eyes widened a little at Rex's admission, wondering if he truly meant it. The Leftherian had agreed to take him to Elysium; however, Malos was surprised at just how sincere Rex's tone was.

"That's why you ended up in Uraya? Trying to get to the World Tree?"

Rex nodded, "Yeah. We were almost there when something attacked us. It looked like a snake made of metal."

"Ophion,” The dark Aegis interrupted, unable to bring himself to just listen to their conversation any longer. When they both looked at him, Malos quickly cleared his throat and explained. "The thing that stopped us is known as Ophion."

Vandham nodded his head before he turned to face Malos, "Why do you know what it was? Does it have anything to do with you being the Aegis?"

The dark element Blade nodded, "Yeah. It's an Artifice from Elysium," He explained simply, and Rex looked up at him. The fifteen-year-old looked curious, and Malos realized his Driver was about to ask a question. The Aegis had a feeling what it would be, considering he had yet to explain the concept of Artifices to Rex.

"What are Artifices?"

Malos sighed, "An Artifice is basically a metallic being that can receive commands from an Aegis such as myself or Mythra," The man explained, making sure he did not mention Snow. He could see the relief in Regan's expression as he did not bring up Winter's name.

"I see. There are other Artifices then?"

The Blade nodded his head. "Yeah. I commanded Artifices called Gargoyles during the Aegis War. I only have a few of them now," For obvious reasons, he did not bother to mention his Siren. "Mythra was the one that gave orders to Ophion," Rex's eyes widened a little at that, and he stood up from the crate he had been sitting on.

"Really? Is that why it acted like it was going to attack us?"

Malos shook his head, "The thing is...Ophion shouldn't even be there. From what I-" He cut himself off abruptly, trying to put his fragmented memories together of what was supposed to be the final fight with Mythra. Once he managed to put more of it in place in his mind he spoke again, "I defeated Ophion through commanding my Gargoyles to overwhelm it."

"Someone repaired it then?" Nia asked as she moved to stand next to Regan.

The dark Blade looked down at the Gormotti, "Definitely. I have no idea who fixed it, unfortunately."

Regan crossed her arms. "That sucks. I did notice that Ophion left us alone once we turned around and moved away from the World Tree,” she commented, remembering how the Artifice had only stopped them from going to the World Tree and had not tried to follow them any further.