XXV. Olethro Ruins

The Aegis Awakens

//Chapter Twenty-five: Olethro Ruins//

Regan was quiet as she was forced to walk up the stairs to Olethro Ruins. Her right leg was throbbing, and she was starting to have a difficult time ignoring it. Even with the pain, the Elf somehow managed to go on. She let out a sigh as they finally reached the top, and Regan winced as she almost fell over.

Barely managing to steady herself, the Elf looked around at the ruins for a moment before glancing back towards Pyra. "We're here…. So what now?" The Elvuenian questioned, and the redhead looked over the other woman's expression for a moment before responding.

"Just keep going forward for now," Pyra ordered before she pulled her cloak off and tossed it onto the ground.

Regan complied with the order, continuing to walk. She kept her eyes on the ground before suddenly flinching as someone grabbed her shoulder in a tight grip. "That's far enough." The voice of the Aegis behind her was now difficult, and Regan let out a sigh when she realized what that meant. "On your knees." Doing as she was ordered, the Elf was greeted by the sight of Mythra moving to stand in front of her.

Looking up to meet the golden-blonde's eyes, Regan questioned internally what the light Aegis would do and say next. "Uncover it," Mythra ordered after a moment of silence, causing the Elf's eyebrow to raise. 

"Uncover what? I don't-" Regan winced as one of the golden-blonde's hands met the right side of her face harshly.

"What do you think?" Mythra questioned, pointed towards the center of the Elvuenian's chest. Letting out a shaky breath in response, Regan reluctantly unbuttoned her shirt until Winter’s Core Crystal was visible. The light Aegis leaned down to examine it closely, causing Regan to shut her eyes as the other woman pressed a gloved finger against the ice Ether spreading out from the core.

Regan winced as the golden-blonde continued to touch the skin around Winter's Core Crystal. After a moment of this, Mythra finally moved her hand away, causing the Elf to let out a sigh of relief. The light Aegis watched the Elf closely for a moment before smiling. Regan felt dread run through her at that, and she lowered her eyes to stare at the ground.

"I want you to answer some questions for me," Mythra informed the Elf, and Regan raised an eyebrow at that. 

"About Malos?" The Elvuenian questioned, and the golden-blonde shook her head.

"Nice guess… but no," Mythra responded before motioning towards Winter's core. "I want to know how you ended up with 'Snow's' Core Crystal in your chest. Maddie said she didn't know the details… but it was clear she was lying. So, what's the story?" Mythra's tone was much less hostile and demanding than Regan had expected.

Regan was quiet for a moment, unsure if answering the question would be wise. She let out a deep breath after a minute of just sitting there, and the Elf watched as Mythra’s eyes narrowed. "You really think keeping your mouth shut is going to help you?" Taking note of the implied threat, Regan let out a sigh of defeat before answering.

"Six years after the Aegis War, my mom gave birth to me…. I was born with 'Abranios Feru', a fatal condition that causes organ failure in newborns," Regan explained before letting out a deep breath and continuing. "Winter gave me her Core Crystal so I would survive."