XXVI. Fireflies

The Aegis Awakens

//Chapter Twenty-six: Fireflies//

"Regan!" Rex called out, shaking her shoulders. The Elvuenian's eyes remained shut tightly, and the fifteen-year-old then noticed how cold she was. The sound of footsteps approaching the two of them caught his attention. He looked up and spotted the familiar form of Nia, looking both worried as well as confused.

"Wha' happened?" The Gormotti questioned, looking down at Regan’s still unconscious body. She glanced over at Vandham and sighed in relief as she saw that he was still breathing.

"I don't know!" Rex exclaimed, watching as Nia kneeled in front of him. 

"Hand her over," Nia instructed, and the Leftherian hesitated for a second before he realized that it would be stupid to refuse. Doing as the Gormotti asked, the fifteen-year-old watched as she checked Regan over. 

Nia tugged off one of her gloves before reaching her now bare hand to press against the Elf's forehead. Immediately recoiling as her skin made contact with the skin of Regan's head, Nia jerked her hand back. 

"What's wrong?!" Rex questioned as he saw Nia's reaction. The Gormotti was quiet for a moment before her ears flattened on her head.

"She's cold as ice," Nia responded, looking up at the sound of multiple sets of footsteps approaching them. Malos was the first to come towards them, with everyone else except for Zenobia close behind him. They all wore a mix of worry and confusion in their expressions.

The Gormotti then looked up at Malos after she glanced at the icy-blue, crucifix-shaped core in the center of Regan's chest. "Do you have any clue what's going on with her?" Nia questioned, and the dark Aegis just shook his head in response. He glanced to his left at Zenobia, who had only now just gotten up

"We should get them back to the inn," Ethan stated, looking back and forth between Regan and Vandham as he spoke. He stepped closer to the mercenary leader before kneeling down and checking on the Urayan. The Elf let out a deep breath before looking up at Malos. "You think you can support him? He's unconscious." Malos quickly nodded his head in response to the question. Moving to Regan's side then, Ethan gently took her from Nia before lifting her into his arms. 

All of the group then exited Olethro Ruins, except for Poppi. "Poppi?" Tora turned around to face the Artificial Blade, noticing her reluctance. Staring down at the cracked Core Crystal of Eva, Poppi eventually reached down to carefully pick it up. Moving to join her Driver, the mechanical Blade continued to clutch the core in her metal hands.

"Will she…wake up?" The Leftherian asked gently as he looked down at Regan’s unconscious form on one of the beds in the inn. Nia said nothing in response to the question, now turning her attention to Vandham’s body on the bed across from the one holding Regan. Watching the continuous movements of his chest, even if a bit slower than it normally would be, Nia was relieved. 

"Nia…?" Rex called out to the Gormotti, causing Nia to turn her attention back to him.

"I don' know," Nia finally responded to his first question before looking at Malos. "You really have no clue wha' is going on with her?" The sudden question seemed to startle the Aegis, who had been leaning against one of the walls in the room they were in.

"I have no idea..." Malos uncrossed his arms from over his chest before approaching the bed Regan was lying on. He looked down at her, a thought crossing his mind as he did so. 

"Do you know if she's going to be okay at least?" Maddie asked, approaching him.
Malos shook his head, noticing the tear streaks on the Blade's face.