Chapter 10 ~ An Eventful Night Out

Kris

        Later that day, I was cleaning out the pockets of my leather jacket when I found Jo's phone number scribbled on the notecard she gave me. Unfolding it, I remembered the episode at lunch with her and Sophie. The two hadn't returned after running out of the cafeteria. How nosy would it be to call her just to ask what happened. Remembering the look on Jo's face when she saw Sophie, I decided to call her anyway. Anxiously, I waited for her to pick up.

        "What do you want," Jo answered. "Wait, who is this?"

        "Uh... Kris," I told her.

        "Oh, Kris. So now you call me," Jo gave a dry laugh.

        "Is now a bad time?"

        "Why did you even call?"

        I couldn't tell if she was sad, angry, or just mildly annoyed. "Just seeing if uh... you know, if you're okay," I mumbled. The line was quiet for so long that I asked if she was still there.

        “Yeah,” Jo replied. “What about you?”

        “Huh?”

        “How’re things with you and Kit? You two were sitting together.”

        I remembered Kit sitting awkwardly at the table with Riley and me. “I guess things are okay,” I chuckled. “At least she doesn’t hate me. Well, I mean, if she does, she’s pretending she doesn’t.”

        “So you’re just gonna be friends?”

        Gazing out my window, I considered that. Kit wasn’t going to magically fall in love with me, especially if she didn’t like girls. Really, I couldn’t know for sure whether she was straight or gay or bi or whatever, but I got the feeling that she would never like me the way I liked her. “I guess,” I realized. “Anyway, are you sure you’re okay?”

        “Yeah yeah, stop askin’ me about it, Rosen.”

        “Hey that’s not fair,” I grinned. “I don’t know your last name.”

        “It’s Carter.”

        “Okay. Well I have to go now,” I told her. “Adios, Carter.”

        “Hey you watch your mouth,” Jo threatened me with a laugh.

        I hoped she was okay.

Kit

        Another day of eating lunch with Kris and her friend passed. Jo hadn’t shown up again, which I guessed was a good thing. She probably would have added more awkwardness to the table. Now that things had somewhat cooled down between Kris and me, I had a chance to observe her. She seemed nice enough. She and Riley got along very well, and Sophie seemed to really like her too. Even Sherry didn’t seem to care that my secret admirer was a girl. I was the only one who cared.

        What I found strange was that neither Kris nor Sophie, or even Jo, really fit the image that came to my mind when I thought of lesbians. They weren’t very… promiscuous, I guess. I remembered when Addy cut her hair and dyed it pink; my mom had told her that she looked like a lesbian. My mom probably wouldn’t say that to any of these girls. They actually seemed normal. It made me wonder how many lesbians really attended this school.

        Thinking about Kris made me feel weird, to say the least. I had never met a lesbian, much less a lesbian who uh… liked me that way. However, I couldn’t undo the bond I had formed with her by reading her notes. I found myself hanging on to the fact that I had liked Kris’s personality before her gender threw me off. Confused, I tried to make sense of my feelings. Why did Kris have to be a girl. I needed to get to the bottom of this weirdness.