Chapter 3 ~ That was Awkward

Dedicated to Sundance-Kid for reading through this story and writing the really interesting story All Along the Blue Fence. Check it out!

Kris

        It was the first day of school. Riley and I were juniors now, and we were comparing schedules again. As we walked up the path and through the various pairs of double doors, I asked Riley once again if she had first or second lunch period.

        Puzzling over her schedule, Riley replied with, "I haven't figured it out yet."

        "It depends on your fourth hour," I told her. "See, that's what this guide is at the top of your schedule. You're in B hall that hour, and I'm upstairs, so... so we both have second lunch," I concluded.

        "Oh, cool," she smiled. "I wonder if any of my friends from last year will talk to me."

        I shrugged, not having talked to many people last year. "You look nice today," I complimented her.

        "Thanks," Riley replied, probably kind of surprised that I had complimented her. I made sure to do it sometimes, doing it whenever it crossed my mind to say something to her. Riley was wearing the sort of thing she usually put on; today it was a black and red plaid shirt, ripped jeans that looked a bit like mine, and black converse. While I was trying to figure out if we were wearing the same jeans, Riley made a comment about my leather jacket and lace-up boots.

        When we walked in, we were five minutes early. I was concerned about being able to find my class, so Riley offered to help me find it. We were discussing the fact that I should help Riley find her class too, and I asked just how I would do that if I was already at my class. Riley was suggesting that the two of us walk each other to our classes, then go back to our classrooms, when suddenly I was distracted.

        Just in front of me, that girl from the candy shop was passing by with a friend. "Riley," I interrupted what she was saying.

        "Wh--Excuse you."

        "Sorry, but I just saw that girl."

        "What girl?" Riley raised an eyebrow.

        "Remember that girl from the candy shop?"

        Riley hesitated. "I've seen lots of girls in lots of candy shops."

      Trying to locate the girl again, I walked to the side and peered around the people walking and standing in the hallway. She was gone. It was the same girl, right? I turned back to find Riley staring at me with vague concern. "A few days ago, we went to the candy shop and I saw a... a girl there," I explained, averting my eyes.

        "Uh, that's cool," Riley shrugged. "Oh you mean like a," she wiggled her fingers a little, "cute girl?"

        "Yeah!" I exclaimed. How did I remember and Riley didn't? "She has short black hair and this is the second time I've seen her in a dress."

        "Does she have bangs?" Riley asked.

        "Yeah," I gasped. "Do you know her?"

        "Nah, I was just wondering."

        "Oh."

        Riley decided that we should find our classes, so I went to a physics class with Riley. I told her she could just stay there, and I'd find my class. First hour, for me, was psychology. I had six classes and a lunch period after my fourth one. Today, classes were cut short, since it was the first day. Each class consisted of me meeting the teacher, finding a seat, and hearing what we would do in class. My math teacher had set up a review game for us, which I think I did okay at actually.