Chapter 16 ~ Skating Together

Kris

----On Wednesday, two days after my interview at the frozen yogurt place, I got a call from the lady who had interviewed me. She wanted to know if I could work Sundays. I wasn't exactly thrilled to say I'd work on the weekend, but my mom had told me that first-time employees get the crap hours, so I said yes anyway. The next thing the woman told me caught me completely off guard.

----"Okay, great. So I'd like to offer you the position."

----"Whoa seri-Uhh," I faltered. "Oh... thank you."

----"Now you might want to take notes."

----Dang, this lady meant business. I had just come home from school, so I looked around the kitchen for paper and a pen. Listening closely, I scribbled down a few words: work permit, social security number, and I.D. I had no idea what my social security number was, I had never heard of a work permit, and the closest thing I had to an I.D. was my school card, but these were the things I would need before I could start working. Just like I had done when scheduling an interview, I picked the soonest date to attend orientation: today. Why I did that to myself, I don't really know.

----When the phone call ended, I excitedly dialed Kit's number to tell her that I was employed. No answer. I could have just texted her, but I really liked hearing her voice. It sounds corny, but I'm a pretty corny person I guess. All of a sudden, I remembered that Kit had church on Wednesdays. She was probably busy.

----Orientation was at five, but I got there a few minutes before then. When I walked into Joe and Zoe's Froyo, there were already five kids sitting around the same table where I had been interviewed. They all looked up at me and smiled, and I felt like they'd been sales associates before. Wait, I wasn't late, was I? No, the woman wasn't here yet. Sighing, I took a seat and said hi to the others. There were three girls and two boys, all of whom seemed pretty outgoing. They all said hi to me too.

----The ding of the opening door caught my attention, and I turned to find none other than Jo Carter walking into the shop. I gawked at her sudden appearance. "Jo?" I smirked.

----"Yeah yeah," Jo mumbled, pulling up a chair.

----"What are you doing here?"

----"Turns out, bosses don't like when you dump ice water on your customers."

----"If I were your boss, I'd let you do that. Maybe not to Sophie though," I replied.

----"Then you wouldn't be my boss for very long. We'd both get fired."

----"It would be worth it."

----When Jo and I finished our mini conversation, we turned to the other kids who now looked slightly concerned. So Jo and I would be working together. That sounded kind of cool. Ever since the sleepover, we had been getting along pretty well. The two of us were both really gay, and having her around was nice. It was nice having Riley too, but when I talked to her about having a crush on Kit, she couldn't relate. Now that I thought about Riley, I wondered if I had accidentally been ignoring her. Lately, the situation had been that if I wasn't hanging out with Jo, I was talking to Kit. I decided to call Riley after orientation.

Kit

----Today was Wednesday, and every Wednesday I went to youth group. Youth group was a church program for older kids, and we did things like singing, playing games, and listening to sermons. We even did skits sometimes, and the younger kids from the other group would come watch. I had been involved in church groups ever since I was old enough to join. When I was only two years old, my parents would bring me to vacation Bible school, which was a summer program for Christians. There were so many religious activities in my life. I wondered how Kris would feel about it all.