Chapter 1 ~ I'm Kris

Dedicated to AmberShinethePony for powering through all my stories and always making my day.

Kris

        When I first saw Kit, it was at a candy store and only for a few seconds. She was wearing a yellow sundress with little black flowers on the side, a jean jacket, black leggings, and a hat. She was adorable, but she left so quickly that I thought I had imagined her. Strangely, she seemed familiar, but I couldn't think of any way I might know her or anywhere I had seen her before. I never thought I'd see her again. Then one day, I did.

        As it turned out, Kit went to my school. I found out that she was kind of a new student, since she had just joined last semester. I couldn't believe it. There she was. She had a locker in the same hallway as me. I mean, I only used my locker about twice a day, but that meant I would probably see Kit at least twice a day then.

        As much as I liked Kit, I knew she wouldn't like me. We were so different. She was feminine and small, always dressed in bright colors. Kit's hair was short and black, soft bangs hanging just above her light blue eyes. You could just tell we were different by placing us next to each other. I have long thick hair, probably like five million freckles, a nose piercing, and most of my clothes are dark and slightly destroyed. Basically, Kit is a little princess and I may or may not look scary compared to her. Which I think is fine. I imagine Kit would have a problem with it though.

        Kit seemed to like upbeat or soft music. I could tell because she sang with her friends sometimes. My music was most likely the reason that my neighbors moved away. Kit was involved in the community, clubs, after school programs. She was always hanging around after school, and once or twice I'd see her name in the announcements. The two places I ever really go are school and home, with a few occasional changes in plans. Kit is outgoing. I pretend to be outgoing. These were all the reasons Kit would probably not like me. I was sad.

        Anyway, I'm Kris. For some reason, people assume that 'Kris' is a boy. I don't know why. It looks like it's short for Krista or Kristen, but people hear 'Chris'. My mom used to call me Krissy sometimes. Don't do that. Did I mention I'm a girl. I'm a girl by the way, in case you were wondering.

        I often think back to how this all started, my feelings for Kit. Thinking back to the candy shop, I kind of want to say that that's where it started. Then I think, no I didn't really know how much I would care for her at that point. Still, I decided to pick that as the moment it all began.

        Downtown, there is a little candy shop that my friend Riley and I walk to sometimes. That was what we were doing that day, walking to the candy shop. Riley always got the bags of little candies instead of one thing, like a candy bar.

        "Kris, I need you," Riley was saying as she picked through the candies. "Kris."

        "What?" I asked. I was deciding what I wanted still.

        "I can't find the cherry ones," Riley complained.

        "Don't do this to me again," I muttered, smiling a little.

        "Alright I guess I'll... I guess I'll do it myself."

        Riley probably kept talking after that, but I didn't hear her. First of all, even though she talks a lot, she talks really quietly. Also, this was the time that I spotted Kit in her flowy sundress, buying chocolate bars. The shop was really small, and on weekends it was kind of crowded. Because of that and the containers of candy that were in the way, I couldn't really walk over to her or get her attention. I just stood in a daze as she walked away, not quite sure what had just happened.

        "While you were zoned out, I found some cherry ones," Riley informed me as she walked past me and up to the counter.

        "Riley, did you see that girl?" Suddenly I was aware of the horrible mistake I had made in not even trying to push my way through the store to say hi to the cute stranger. Then again, what would I have said to her?

        "I've seen lots of girls today," Riley replied. "You have to help me out a little."

        "She just left, she had this yellow dress, um, a jean jacket, uh I can't remember... oh she had short black hair and--"

        "Oh, no, sorry," Riley interrupted. "Why?"

        "She was cute," I stated, placing a candy bar on the counter along with Riley's bag.

        "So am I, what's your point?" Riley grinned. We payed for our candy and went back out onto the sidewalk.

        "Riley it's--"

        "Oh god," Riley mumbled inaudibly.

     "It's love at first sight," I chuckled, lightly pushing her arm. Riley couldn't understand how I became so attached to people so quickly. Honestly, I couldn't understand it either. I just felt very drawn to that girl at the candy shop. "What if I never see her again," I sighed.

        "Can I offer you a cherry candy," Riley offered.

        "Cherry candies don't solve problems." I still took one.

        "Yes they do, what are you talking about."

        Riley and I had met in middle school, when I didn't really have any friends. Riley had what we refer to as school friends, friends you only talk to at school. She had a neighbor that she spent time with sometimes, but we were both wanting a close friend. I had been walking down the hallway, not in the best mood after getting a bad test grade. Leaning against the wall dressed in plaid and blue jeans with a DS in her hands, there was Riley. "Who brings a DS to school," I had muttered.

        "Riley Cho brings a DS to school," Riley had declared. "Got a problem?"

        This was one of the things Riley had said loudly to me, and I had been surprised that she even responded. Of course, then I apologized for being in a bad mood, but Riley didn't care about that. She told me she liked my pants--they were covered in my marker doodles--and I decided to sit with her until my mom came to pick me up. When my mom drove me home, she drove Riley home too. The rest of our friendship history involves us playing video games together, watching TV, eating junk food, walking around town, and just hanging out, all of which we still do. She's always there to talk sense into me or just goof off with me, and I try to always be there for her too.

        Today, we were just walking downtown. We live in a town called Alcorn. It's a decent size, not really one of those small towns where you know everybody's name, but it's no big city either. The downtown area has a lot of shops to look at, a farmers' market, restaurants to visit, and a park with big oak trees, fountains, and bright flowers. I like to go there with Riley to pet dogs. Actually, I asked Riley if she wanted to go to that park to pet dogs today, so that's where we decided to go. The sky was bright blue and it was hot enough outside that I hadn't worn a sweatshirt, but not hot enough for me to want to go back inside right away. In the shade of the park's trees, the weather was perfect. Water flowed from a large fountain surrounded by white and yellow flowers. It was a good day. Now if only I hadn't stopped thinking about that girl from the candy shop.

A/N: Here's a short chapter to start the story off :) The introduction chapters (this one and the first one from Kit's POV) will probably be a little shorter than the other ones. My chapters are usually a little less than 4,000 words long, but I've decided that these chapters will be around 1,600-2,000 words. Since this is my first romance novel, I'm a little nervous about it, so I'd appreciate any feedback you have. Thanks for reading!