Chapter 13 ~ Sleepover

Kit

        Being at Kris's house was awkward from the moment I had arrived, and yet I wasn't exactly certain as to why I was so uncomfortable. It could have been because Kris was a lesbian and I wasn't familiar with what that entailed. I made a note to ask Riley about what sort of things Kris liked to do with a girl at her house, even though I had a feeling that Riley didn't like me.

        At one point, Kris's mom told me that my clothes were dry, so I went to put them on. As I was getting dressed, I wondered when I had last worn jeans. Before leaving the bathroom, I texted my mom asking to be picked up soon.

        When I went back to Kris's bedroom, I found her poking around at a CD collection. She had enough cases stacked on top of each other to fill three little shelves. I smiled at the thought of Kris taking pride in her music collection until I started to wonder what kind of ‘rock’ music she liked.

        Noticing that I had walked in, Kris turned and grinned at me. “These are all my CDs,” she announced proudly.

        “I see that,” I answered, observing them some more.

        “You CD that.”

        “What?”

        “Uh, nothing, sorry,” Kris laughed. “I’ll find one that you’ll like,” she claimed.

        “Oh no, I don’t--” I hastily tried to decline, but Kris’s smile widened.

        “You like Christian music?” Kris interrupted.

        In return, I gave her a blank look. “Don’t tell me you’re going to pull a Christian CD out of there.” Curiously, I watched as Kris selected one, and I held out my hand as she gave it to me. “What’s this?”

        “That’s Christian rock. It’s kind of like us in music version. I mean… what?” Kris trailed off, awkwardly placing a hand on the back of her neck as she averted her eyes. “Anyway, maybe you’ll like some of the songs.”

        “Is there screaming?” I raised an eyebrow.

        “Uh… there is not screaming,” Kris chuckled.

        “Hmm,” I mumbled. “You know if I listen to this, you have to listen to pop music.”

        “What, no.”

        “Yeah. Or religious music.”

        Kris’s eyes narrowed, an unsure smirk appearing on her face. “You mean like Amazing Grace?”

        “What?” I laughed. “No. Well… I have sung that at church before. I’ll bring you a CD tomorrow,” I beamed.

        Just then, Kris’s phone vibrated on the floor, and she picked it up to read a message. “Um… Riley says she’s at Sherry’s house.”

        “Riley is?” I inquired. What could she be doing there? What were those girls up to?

        Just then, Kris got a call, which she answered and put on speaker. “Hey Riley, Kit’s here too.”

        “Kit’s there?” Riley repeated.

        “Yeah.”

        “Um, hello,” I added.

        “Oh. Hi. Um…”

        “Hi Kit,” Sherry chimed in happily. “I was wondering if you and Kris wanted to have a sleepover tomorrow. I invited Jo and Sophie too.”