Chapter 12 ~ We'll Go to My House

Kris

        This wasn't going so well. In the past five minutes this is what I had discovered: Kit was way more outdoorsy than me. I was a lot lazier than Kit. She was more responsible than I was. Almost everything about us conflicted with each other, from our tastes in music to our religions. The logical thing to do would be to acknowledge that this relationship might not work. I am not always a very logical person.

        "There has to be something we have in common," I sighed. Honestly, trying to find any similarities between the two of us was exasperating.

        I turned my attention to the waitress who came walking up to us. "Sorry for the wait,” she smiled. “What can I get you two to drink?”

        I let Kit go first and she asked for a chocolate milkshake. I asked for one too. When the waitress left, I asked if chocolate was Kit’s favorite flavor. She said yes. A grin appeared on my face. “Me… too!” I exclaimed.

        “Well what do you know,” Kit giggled.

        The smile on my face faltered when she laughed, but I quickly recovered. I was not going to freak Kit out by making it obvious that I still had a crush on her. “So,” I began a little too loudly. “Uh… do you have any pets?” I wondered.

        “No, but we’re trying to convince my dad to get us a dog,” Kit replied.

        “I love dogs. I like animals in general,” I told her. “I’ll probably start volunteering at the shelter soon.”

        “Oh,” Kit’s eyes widened. “Really?”

        “Uh, yeah.”

        “That’s… that’s really nice actually.”

        A few minutes later, the waitress came with our milkshakes and took our orders. Kit and I were both getting hamburgers. Our food came, and we continued to talk. By the time we were finished eating, this is what I had discovered: we both really liked animals and chocolate shakes. That was a start.

        Just as we were getting ready to leave, we saw a flash from outside. The sky that had been bright blue awhile ago had been consumed by dark clouds. "Is it seriously going to rain?" I muttered.

        "It better not," Kit passive-aggressively threatened the sky. "It's been so hot and sunny. I didn't think it would rain any time soon."

        Suddenly, I felt a few drops of water land on my skin. "Looks like it is," I observed. As we walked, we were quiet. I wondered if we could bond over our very few similarities. All of a sudden, the sprinkling rain began to soak us, and soon we were in a downpour. I was wearing shoes, but Kit's flip flops began to slide around in the forming puddles. Before we knew it, sheets of rain were falling from the sky. Kit shrieked, and I laughed.

        Just as Kit was about to slip, I grabbed her hand. Pulling her closer, I yelled to her over the rushing rain, "We'll go to my house!"

        "I'm soaked!" Kit exclaimed.

        "No way, I wonder why!" I laughed, smiling when I heard Kit laugh next to me.

        "Ew," Kit complained.

        "What do you mean ew, it's water."

        "It feels weird!" Kit laughed at my expression. Something about laughing with Kit as we guided each other through the downpour made me ecstatic.