Chapter 11 ~ It's Not a Date or Anything

Kit

        The temperature had finally begun to cool, despite the fact that it was still t-shirt weather. I was walking between buildings to get to English, the only class I shared with Kris. Although we were both in that class, we rarely talked to each other. Today though, Miss Lacey handed back our grammar tests to correct, and we were supposed to go over them with partners. Of course, I ended up going over to Kris--who else, right?

        Kris and I sat side by side, sharing an answer key. "What'd'ya get?" Kris asked, poking my arm with the eraser end of her pencil.

        "If you must know," I began, Kris rolling her eyes at my tone, "I got an A."

        "I got a B-," Kris proudly announced.

        "That's too bad," I commented.

        Smiling, Kris shook her head. "No, that's good for me," she explained. "I suck at English stuff. You seem to be good at it though."

        "English is my best subject," I told her.

        "Well then I have a reason to bug you," Kris jested. "Hey, about last night," she changed the subject, "have you talked to Sophie at all?" Her eyes lingered on Jo, who was working across the room with a girl whose voice was hardly ever heard in class.

        "I did. She texted me an hour or so after I left," I replied.

        "Well, what did she say?" Kris inquired.

        "She said sorry about the drama and that yes, she was okay."

        "She didn't say anything else?" Kris wanted to know.

        "You're kind of nosy, aren't you," I commented with a little smile--not that nosiness was a spectacular quality in a new friend.

        "Maybe," she shrugged. "I just wanna know what happened between... them," Kris spoke in a quieter voice. Once again, we glanced over at Jo.

        "What are you doing, we can't both look at her," I mumbled.

        Jo looked up at us just then, stared at us for a moment, then flipped us off. Judging from Kris's snickering and proceeding to make a face a Jo, I assumed it was Kris's fault. "Well I don't think she's in a bad mood," Kris muttered to me.

    "You guys talkin' shit about me?" Jo called. Somehow, the teacher hadn't heard her, but I supposed somebody like Jo would get used to finding the right time to swear across the classroom.

        "Well, we were talking about last night," Kris told her. I decided to just keep correcting my paper, since that was what we were supposed to be doing after all.

        "Oh, it's all good," Jo announced.

        "What happened?" Kris asked.

        Glancing up at the clock, Jo answered with, "More details at 12."

        Kris looked back at me and sighed. "You just kept going without me, huh?"

        "You were too busy talking," I reminded her.

        "Well then."

        Her vaguely offended tone made smile.

Kris

        At twelve o'clock, the bell rang and everyone who had crowded around the door was released. Kit and I followed Jo out into the hallway, and I continued to bother her about telling us what had happened between her and Sophie. "Chill out, Rosen," was all she said until we reached the cafeteria.