Chapter 20 ~ You Can't Run Away

A/N: Oh look, another update. Think of this as a way to make up for any late chapters. Usually, the chapters are 1,650 to 2,000 words long. This chapter is 3,800 words long. Why? Because a lot of stuff happens, that's why. There are two parts so that you can take a break in the middle of it if you want. Part 2 is clearly labeled. Enjoy!

Kris

Friday, I was scheduled to work. Today was opening day, and the manager was expecting a lot of people. She wasn't wrong. Apparently, people in my town really liked frozen yogurt. After school, I showed up to Joe and Zoe's Froyo with my work shirt on, my name tag stuck to the front. There were people eating frozen yogurt outside the shop, and I spotted a few people walking around town with the cups in their hands.

My manager told me to work one of the two cash registers. I had been shown the basics of using one yesterday, and the manager would be standing by if I had questions. As it turned out, the person working the other cash register right next to me was Kit. I suddenly had a question for my manager: why, of all people...

But there was no time to think about that. My thoughts were interrupted by an approaching customer. I realized how long the line of people was starting to get; everyone was just coming from school. "Go ahead and place your cup on the scale," I told the customer. Slowly, I began to develop the routine of giving the price, taking the money, returning change, and asking for a zip code. Occasionally I had to say things like, "Oh, the spoons are actually right here," or "Yes, we did just open today." Thankfully, I stayed busy enough to not worry so much about what Kit was thinking. It didn't last the whole shift though. Five to six was the time that a lot of people were having dinner. There was no longer a line.

"I didn't think we'd be that busy," Kit sighed.

I looked around, but nobody else was near. She was either talking to herself or trying to talk to me. "Yeah," I replied.

"It's kind of nice having a job," Kit told me. "It'll be weird when I want something and have money for it."

"Yeah."

"Yeah," Kit answered, sounding far away. I had to help another customer, but I felt Kit's watchful eyes on me. "Did you come in at three?" Kit questioned when I was finished.

"Yeah."

"Can you say anything besides yeah?"

"Uh... yeah."

Kit's eyes narrowed, and she leaned on the counter. "Kris." She sounded mildly annoyed, but there was a smile on her face.

"I'm kind of numb right now, okay?" I muttered. Worried when Kit didn't answer, I turned to her. She was staring blankly at me.

"I understand," Kit answered.

"Sorry, but I'm pretty sure you don't."

"Maybe not," Kit shrugged, handing a napkin to a small child who approached her. "I don't know exactly how you feel and why, but I know what it's like to feel numb at least."

I raised an eyebrow. "You think so?"

"Yeah. It's like you want to cry but you can't, and you don't care enough to wonder why."

Baffled, I gawked at Kit. What happened to her? I had never seen her like this. She had always done everything with such a sense of confidence and purpose, but now it seemed like she was indifferently accepting whatever came her way, unsure of what she was doing, not concerned enough to worry about it. Maybe she could relate to me after all. "That's exactly what it feels like," I told her.