Chapter 28 ~ The Future and Other Scary Stuff

Kris

Time passed; it was late summer now. Around this time a year ago, I had seen Kit for the first time. It was just as hot now as it had been on that day. It was so hot that I decided to wear shorts and a tank top for once. "Where are we going?" Kit asked. Holding her hand, I led her into town. She was wearing a light pink dress and a floppy sun hat.

"Hold on a sec," I sighed, leaning against a brick building. Searching through my little backpack, I fished out two water bottles and handed one to Kit. "This is good," I told her. "We're getting exercise. We're being healthy right now. Taking a walk... drinking some water... yeah."

"I forgot how good water tastes," Kit remarked. She gave me a look of curiosity.

"What?"

"Where are we going?" Kit grinned.

"Oh. We're going to the place where I first saw you."

"Where's that?" I placed a hand on Kit's waist and gently pulled her closer. Then I pointed to a tiny shop just across the

street.

"One day... slightly younger me went to get some candy with Riley. I was in there, just

minding my own business, when suddenly, holy shit!" I glanced at Kit as she raised an eyebrow. "Sorry. Anyway, I was like... wow look at that really pretty girl. That was you by the way. I'm talking about you."

Kit laughed under her breath. Grinning, I kissed her cheek. As Kit wrapped her arms

around my neck, I lifted her up off the ground. Kit let out a little shriek in surprise, and the two of us laughed as I carried her to the back of the building.

In my excitement, I may have tripped. And fell. I pulled Kit close to me and kept her from hitting her head. We were on the ground now. Kit rolled over and lay on top of me. "Ow," I mumbled. "You okay?"

"Mhm," Kit smiled. She felt her head and looked around, a small frown on her face. "I think I lost my hat."

I hit the grass in a few places until my hand finding the rough material of Kit's hat. "Found it."

"Why thank you."

"Should we go to the candy shop?"

"Mm... it can wait," Kit decided. She gazed lovingly into my eyes, making me melt. Lowering her head, she gave me a kiss. I tried and failed to be serious, laughing while Kit was trying to have a moment with me. As her lips met mine, I felt her smile. "Kris, shut up," she scolded me playfully.

"Make me!" I dared her. Kit pulled back to give me a just-you-wait look. I stopped laughing. With my arms wrapped around her, Kit slowly began to kiss me again. By now, it was natural. It was warm and comforting. It just felt right.

The two of us lay in the grass side by side, gazing up at the few clouds in the sky. "That one looks like a turtle," I pointed out.

"No it doesn't," Kit replied doubtfully.

"Yeah it does, look. That's a shell, and there's its head."

"Oh yeah," Kit laughed. "It does."

We stayed there for a while, holding hands. Then we got up and headed to the candy shop together. We talked about last summer. A lot had changed in a year.

Kit

Lunch at school was pretty much the same as it was last year, but Jo was no longer with us. She was now in college, unsure of what her major would be. We all had her phone number, but I rarely talked to her.