Chapter 5 ~ A Reply?

Riley had been eating chips, but now she was staring at me in mid-chew. That's, y'know, when you have a chip you're biting into, but you're in the middle of... uh... anyway, Riley was now staring at me. "Huh?" she replied, quickly chewing her food so she could say something else. "You did what?"

        I was sitting next to her on the big cushy couch in my living room, smiling sheepishly at her. "I uh, well I left Kit a note."

        "The girl you keep mentioning?" Riley's eyes widened.

        "Yeah."

        "Dude."

        "What."

        "You can't do that."

        I glanced over into the kitchen and decided to get some drinks. "I already did it though," I reminded her as I got up from the couch and headed to the fridge.

        What did you say?" Riley called, since I had disappeared behind a wall.

        "Dude, just wait a minute," I replied. I looked over at the garage entrance as my mom stepped into the kitchen from there.

        My mom is cool; don't question me on this. First of all, she looks cool. She's tan--a little lighter than my dad though--has this short, spiky, black cherry red hair, and a black tattoo sleeve up her right arm. Aside from that, she gives me a lot of freedom and loves me unconditionally. Placing a grocery bag on the counter just as I replied to Riley, she greeted me. "Hey Kris, how was school?"

        "School," I shrugged.

        "It was school?"

        "It's what you'd expect," I replied. "I played some games, talked to people, left this one girl a note, just some first day of school stuff." I turned to find her handing me two little bottles of soda. "Thanks," I told her, watching as Riley entered the room. I handed her a drink.

        "What did the note say?" Riley asked.

        "Uh, I told her that the one guy who was yelling at her is a dick and--"

        "Did you actually say dick," Riley interrupted me.

        "No, I did not actually say dick," I sighed.

        "What's this about a note?" my mom asked, taking out another drink for herself.

        I glanced at Riley before explaining, "This dudebro was smack-talking my woman, so--" I stopped to laugh as Riley nearly spit her drink.

        "Do you have a girlfriend?" my mom raised her eyebrows.

        "No mom, I never have a girlfriend. It's always a crush," I reminded her. She gave me something between a sympathetic and teasing look. "Anyway... what was I talking about. Oh yeah, so this one guy was talking trash about Kit--that's the girl's name--and I thought 'well that's not cool', so I left her a note from her secret admirer, which is me," I finished.

        "I see," my mom nodded.

        I turned to see Riley giving me a look that said I had done something questionable. "What?" I asked.

        "She's gonna think you're a guy," Riley stated.

        "Oh. Uh, I mean, so? It's not like I'm gonna reveal myself to her, I just left her a note. That's all," I added. Riley shrugged.