Chapter 29 - The Power of Alola

Ash's POV

The rest of the week was full of group stage battles. I was busy too, after defeating Forrest my next opponent was Factory Head Thorton. He had a lot of different types of Pokemon, so must have choose my team carefully to cover as much types as possible. I was especially happy that I picked my Charizard to this battle because the Flame Pokemon easily won the MVP with three knock outs. I won this battle 6:1 but it wasn't as easy as the result shows.

After defeating Thorton, Stephan couldn't wait for our battle and our battle was indeed a good one with a surprising MVP, my Farfetch'd. I don't want to brake Stephan's feelings, but he wasn't the biggest challenge for me in this tournament. At the end, the score board was showing 6:0 defeat for the Unova trainer.

Move on to my fourth battle in the group stage, against the Sinnoh Elite Four member Lucian. I was lucky that Lucian's using only one type of Pokemon, knowing what type his Pokemon will be, I picked counters against it, but still got four of them knocked out. I must say, Lucian is amazing battler. With type advantage in every duel, I won "only" 6:4. There were some really entertaining moments in our battle as well as scary moments and I'm sure everybody on the stadium enjoyed it.

Before battling Paul, I have won every possible point, I had 12 of them and was leading then group. Paul was undefeated too, but he drew level with Lucian, so he had 10 points before our match.

The Sinnoh Elite Four Psychic type specialist was third with 7 points, after winning his first two battles, losing to me, and drawing with Paul, he had his last match against Thorton later after my match with Paul, and if he can win and Paul will not knock out more than four of my Pokemon, the Sinnoh Elite Four member would move up to the second place.

Thorton was fourth with 6 points and no hopes for play-offs. Forrest and Stephan were sharing last place, both with 0 points before the last matchday in the group stage.

But on matchday 5, either Forrest or Stephan could win some points as there was a match between them scheduled as a last match of the day. Before this, the match between Lucian and Thorton was scheduled and my match with Paul was scheduled first.

Afternoon before matchday 5 I had a hard challenge in front of me. I had already picked my team against Paul and trained for a while to get back in sync with everybody, but I knew the team and tactic alone won't win this battle, so I had to do something special, and I knew exactly what. "This will hopefully surprise Paul..." I thought, explained my simple plan to my Pokemon team and from then it was only training.

After a few more hours, the training was done, and everybody knew exactly what to do.

"Remember, I decide when we do it, and we'll have only one chance, so we must do it right." I said and everybody agreed. "Ok everybody, good job, return." I said returning everybody to their respective Pokeballs.

Next day, at 10 AM, I was standing at the battlefield with Paul on the opposite side.

Before the referee arrived, I found Serena with my eyes and gave her a smile and a nod, in return I received a smile and nod from her too.

I chuckled when she appeared on the big screen for a second, but then everybody's attention drew to the Rotom-drone which lowered down to the stadium.

"Hello ladies and gentlemen!" The half machine-half Pokemon referee greeted the crowd on the stadium. "The group stage battle between Ash of Pallet and Paul of Veilstone will now begin!" He announced. "Please choose your first Pokemon!" He instructed us.

Serena's POV

"Buizel, I choose you!" I heard from the battlefield.

"YAAAY!! Go get 'em Buizel!!" Dawn, who was sitting beside me, screamed from the top of her lungs.