Chapter 1 - Research in Hoenn

Ash's POV

I was sitting in front of Cerise Laboratory looking in my Pokedex when I saw Goh and Chloe just arrived talking and laughing together. "Maan ... they sure are happy together..." I thought. For some reason, looking at them reminded me of me and Serena, talking and laughing together back when we were traveling in Kalos.

"Serena..." I sighed.

I didn't know why but since leaving Kalos I often caught myself daydreaming about her and I had lots of questions for her ... You know ... about what she said and did not only in the airport before leaving.

I was in deep thoughts, but I noticed Goh was talking to me.

"Ash? Are you ok? Ash?" he said.

I didn't respond. I was too busy thinking why I feel Serena's not just another friend, why am I thinking about her so much and how to go to the Hoenn region only to meet her.

"Ash? Earth to Ash! What are you thinking about?" Goh asked me while shaking with me.

That returned me to reality.

I freaked out a bit and maybe blushed as I answered "N-Nothing ... just something from my past."

Goh was ready to ask more but I didn't want that, so I dodged him with "I'm sorry ... I gotta ... do some training." Because I wanted to do some training anyway. So I left for training.

Goh's POV

I was looking on leaving Ash with a little confusion.

"What happed to him?" Chloe asked me.

"I don't know and when I tried to find out, he left with a lame excuse of training." I said to my girlfriend. "You know ... It's not normal for Ash to act like this." I continued.

"Strange, I wonder what happened." she responded while we went inside the lab.

We went to her room and continued to talk for quite some time when we heard someone's knocking on the door.

"Come in." Chloe said and then her dad, Professor Cerise, went in.

"Oh, Goh. I thought you might be there." He said.

"What is it professor?" I asked.

"Could you bring Ash and come to the main lab room?" He said to my question.

"What is it dad?" Chloe asked him.

"Just another research Chloe." He said.

Awesome! I couldn't wait to another research. After few minutes and few kisses with Chloe we decided to go find Ash together as she wanted to go to Pokemon house with Yamper anyway and Ash was probably there too.

As soon as we went inside the big greenhouse like building where we keep all our Pokemon I saw Ash training with his Dragonite and Pikachu while his other Pokemon were watching. When Dragonite spotted us, he flew to us and hugged us like there were no tomorrow.

Ash's POV

We were in the middle of training when my Dragonite suddenly flew away.

"Hey Dragonite! That's too tight!" Goh screamed from his last breath a moment after.

"Dragonite return!" I returned my Dragonite while laughing to his habit of hugging everyone.

"Hi Ash." Said Goh while still panting.

"I'm sorry. You know Dragonite." I apologized for the incident.

We chatted for a while. Then Goh joined me in my training and Chloe left to water the plants in the Pokemon house.

"Weren't you supposed to go to main lab room?" Chloe said passing by going for some water.

I didn't know anything about that, so I looked on Goh with a confused expression.

"Oh yeah ..." Goh face palmed "Professor wants our help with a research."

When we reached the lab, we found prof. Cerise doing some research on the two Pokemon I recognized quickly.

"Hi you two." Said professor when he spotted us.

"What are you studying professor?" asked Goh.

"Isn't that Kyogre and Groudon?" I asked professor.

Professor Cerise nodded to my question and he explained to us some things about them. While Goh was listening carefully, I stopped paying attention as soon as he said "Hoenn". I was once again thinking about her.

I recovered my attention when professor said he wants us to go to the Hoenn region for some time and study the two legendaries more. The wave of excitement went through my whole body. I knew that Hoenn region isn't exactly small and the meeting her won't be nothing but one big coincidence, but still.

We continued our research talk when we stumbled on the topic of our accommodation in Hoenn.

"Do you have any idea Ash? Pokemon center's rooms aren't big enough for our research." Said Goh.

I was thinking for a moment when it hit me. "Petalburg City" I said "I traveled with a daughter and son of Petalburg City's gym leader Norman. I'm sure we could stay in their house while doing our research." I explained.

"That's not a bad idea Ash." Prof. Cerise said.

"I'll call him right away." I said while leaving to do the phone call.

I didn't remember the phone number so I called to the Petalburg City Pokemon Centre and asked Nurse Joy if she could redirect my call to the Maple's house. As soon as she did that, Norman Maple appeared on the screen.

"Norman Maple." Norman begun "Oh. Hi Ash. I'm sorry if you want to speak with May. She's not here. Can I help you with something?" He continued.

"Hi Norman. Yes. In fact, I wanted to speak with you." I responded.

I explained how I became a research assistant and how we want some space to do our research. When I explained everything, Norman brought Caroline to the call and we made a deal to travel in the night, so we'll be there in the morning. After solving the work problems, we continued chatting.

They told me that May's on the Grand Festival 'til today and that she and Drew might arrive tomorrow evening. They told me few more things but I was once again thinking about Serena and I was kinda sad because I thought she would probably go to Kalos right after the Grand Festival so when we'll arrive, she probably won't be in Hoenn anymore.

"Hey! Let's make it a surprise!" May's mom suddenly said.

"What surprise?" I returned to reality.

"Let's don't say them anything about your visit so they'll be surprised!" Caroline explained.

"That's not a bad idea." I said, "I want to see May's face when she'll see me."

After that we said goodbye and ended our call.

I went to prof. Cerise and Goh to tell them everything. And professor immediately went to buy the tickets for the night flight.

"Hoenn region! Here we come!" Half-screamed Goh fist bumping into the air.

"Yeah..." Was my emotionless response.