Chapter 4 - The Reunion

Ash's POV

It all went smoothly and we found out a lot about our two legendary research subjects. Soon it was dark outside and we were on our way back. On the way back I said some basic info about May and Drew to Goh. It was about 7 PM when I rang on the doorbell. I expected May but instead her mom appeared to open the door. We went to our room to left our research stuff there and I had an idea that Goh will go first to introduce himself while I'll be hiding around the corner and will go out after Goh will introduce me too.

We realized my childish idea and I was soon listening how Goh's introducing himself and Raboot to May and Drew.

"And this is my colleague. Alolan champion." Goh said and it was my time to go.

I went inside the dining room and Pikachu immediately jumped from my shoulder and went to greet May.

"Hi May. Hi Drew. Long time no see." I greeted both while smiling.

"Pikachu! Ash! How did you become a researcher and a champion?" May started her long chain of questions.

"Long story." I said and took a seat while Goh did the same.

We were talking for so long when I realized that someone's missing here.

"Hey, Caroline told me that there will be three of you. What happened?" I asked after I lost the count of May's questions.

"Oh, the girl that arrived with us is burning up in a fever. She fell asleep in my room as soon as we arrived home." May answered my question.

"Oh no. Do you have any information about her?" I asked confusing question.

"Well, she's from Kalos..." May started but I interrupted her.

"I'm not asking for her identity. I'm asking about her health. Will she be all right?" I specified my question.

"Oh, I see, I wondered since Ash Ketchum's interested in girls. But in that way. I hope she'll be all right soon." May said.

The connection of a girl and Kalos made me quiet for the rest of the dinner but I wasn't even hoping that the girl in May's room could be Serena. It seemed impossible and it sounded too good to be true.

Since I was quiet, May and Drew were telling some stories that happened to them while traveling together. Goh said some stories from our research too.

It was late and I was left alone in the dining room only with Pikachu, so I decided to go to bed. I didn't believe my I eyes when I came across opened doors to May's room. May was sitting above a very familiar sleeping girl with honey blond hair and checking her fever. I thought I was seeing things and I was standing there like an idiot. I then knocked on the door frame.

"May? Could I check her?" I gently asked May.

She stood up without a word and let me sit down above Serena. I thought May left the room, so I started to speak to Serena.

"Hi ... Long time no see." I started as gently as I could and placed a hand on Serena's forehead.

"Oh no." I said when I removed my hand. "Buddy? Could you bring me the medicine from my backpack?" I asked my electric type and he immediately went for it. While I was waiting for Pikachu to come back, I continued with talking to Serena.

"I see you're still wearing my ribbon silly." I said and I was afraid that I woke her up, but she only smiled and put her hand on the ribbon while still sleeping. I smiled too and gently caressed her cheek.

"Sleep well Serena. We'll talk more when you get better." I said to her and put a blanket over her shoulders.

"Now where's Pikachu that long?" I wondered for myself didn't expecting the answer.

"He's not back yet." I heard May behind me sitting on her bed.

I blushed as hard as never before. "M-May? I thought you've left..." I said with embarrassment in my voice.

"This's my room Ash." May reminded me.

Situation became awkward and Pikachu came to my rescue bringing the whole backpack with him.

"Didn't you find the medicine inside, buddy?" I asked Pikachu and opened the backpack. Room became so quiet that I heard Serena's breathing and beside this only other sound was produced by me going through my stuffs in the backpack. It was little bit awkward if you ask me. I understood why Pikachu couldn't find the medicine. I was about to give up my search in my backpack when my Riolu popped out of his Pokeball. The Emanation Pokemon must have sensed my quandary and wanted to help me but instead he was starring on Serena.

"Don't worry Riolu. She'll get better soon. At least I hope." I said to my fighting type and he focused his eyes on me.

"Did you come out to help me or to stare at people? 'Cause if you want to look at people, May's sitting right over there." I said jokingly.

Riolu rolled his eyes and focused on my backpack. I couldn't believe my eyes when Riolu found the medicine in like two seconds. I thanked him, stroked him on his head and returned him to his Pokeball. Then I went to get some water for Serena and left the rest to May as she said she'll get her the medicine. After May rejected my offer to help her, I went to the guest room I was sharing with Goh.

I found Goh studying something on his Rotom-Phone while lying on his bed.

"Where have you been?" He said when I sat on my bed.

"Just next door treating the sick girl." I said while changing to my pyjamas.

"Oh, that's why Pikachu took your backpack." He continued our talk.

I confirmed that and lied down in my bed. I still didn't know what happened and still wasn't believing that the sick girl is Serena. THAT Serena.

I was once again thinking about Serena still not convinced that she's just in the next room. "Is this a dream or some kind of illusion?" I asked rather myself.

But Goh answered. "I don't think so. Why do you ask?"

"Then Arceus most fricking love me." I thought out loud.

"What are you talking about?" Goh asked in confusion.

"Remember our conversation in the plane?" I started when I decided to tell him about my thoughts.

"You mean about the girl you love?" Goh wanted to catch me in another trap.

"Hey, I didn't say anything about love." I complained.

"There you are denying it again." He teased me.

"Anyway, I couldn't believe my eyes when I came across May's room. There she was, lying in the bed sleeping and burning up in the fever. The girl I met in the Camp years ago. The girl I traveled with in Kalos. The girl I maybe, but only maybe like a little bit more then just as a friend." I spilled out.

Goh was quiet, and after a while he begun laughing. "Just how lucky can you get Ash?" He said between laughs.

After Goh encouraged me to go for her, after she gets better of course, and gave me some tips since I was hopeless in this field, we fell asleep.