Three

"Amelia, hotel or motel?"

"I don't know, how much can we afford? Put the camera down, for real"

"No- and I know a place where one night is really cheap"

"Then let's go there"

"You sound cranky"

"I'm not, I'm just- okay yes, I'm kind of annoyed. My feet hurt"

"Pull over and we'll switch"

"Nah, how far are we from this place?"

"15 minutes, it's bright and bold you can't miss it"

"Cool"

He switched off the camera and touched my hand that was on the gears. "Ssup"

"I've already told you, my feet hurt" I sighed. "I just don't get something; out of all beautiful, amazing girls in school..why did you pick me to go on a road trip with?"

"Has it occurred to you yet that I only want to go with you?" He stared at me but I kept my eyes on the road. "You're my best friend, of course I would pick you over anybody"

"That's sweet of you" I smiled.

"And I do mean it, miss" he commented and we both laughed before a comfortable silence fell in the car. Until his thumb massaged my hand & we almost crashed because I floored it.

+++

I threw my bag on the ground like an animal and belly flopped. "Ugh yes"

Soon after, my best friend did the same and almost crushed me. "Same, and I'm sorry"

"It's fine" I rolled over. "What's on the menu for dinner?"

"They have some pretty sick stuff on room service" he crawled over to the telephone. "What do you fancy?"

I laughed at his attempt of a British accent. "I don't know, but doesn't that shit cost a fortune?"

"If I say we can get it, then we shall" he picked up the receiver and did a sassy hair flick. "Room service? Ah well yes, can I have the Indian dinner you guys almost shoved down my throat for two? And to drink I guess we can do with some orange juice- room 423- alright thanks"

He put the phone down and looked at me. I stared half gobsmacked then laughed. "You're parents are going to kill you when they get your credit card bill"

"Well, better then than anyone else right" he smiled.

"What?"

"Never mind" he shook his head and changed the subject. Me being half way up to heaven at this stage, didn't even notice. "So, what do you fancy doing tonight"

I almost said 'you' but contained myself. "We can watch a movie? It is Movie Saturday"

We have all of these little friendly dates planned out and have spent almost every weekend together. Except from when he used to see Tiffany, that was just painful to have the dimwit around.

He would have girlfriends sure, I had imaginary or ghost (Tate) boyfriends. Point being: he was taken half of the time and I wasn't ever.

"Sure, you can go ahead and take a shower. I'll wait for room service" he smiled.

"Thanks" I stood up. "Now, I just need to grab my shower stuff that is right underneath everything; so watch out"

I started throwing things out of my bag and he curled into a ball, but was still hit by a stray converse. Once I gathered all of my stuff, I quickly walked into the bathroom and shut the door.

I undressed and decided to treat myself to a bath, whilst inside it I checked my phone.

mom💖: how's the trip going? Your dad went ape shit when he found out but he's ok now 😊

oh my god I'm sorry but it's all good, I'm in a bath right now and I'm alone dw, you wouldn't need another baby would you

mom💖: aha that's great and NOPE. Have fun darling, we're about to have dinner

Rather than bothering her anymore, I put down my phone and relaxed.

+++

"Right so, we need a place to crash tonight because after all I had to pay yesterday, I'm kinda skint"

"Why are you always with your camera?"

"It will all make sense soon enough but- this milkshake is good as- anyway, place to crash"

"We'll figure it out later. Now eat, and turn off the camera"

I reached forward and turned the camera off, putting more of my pancakes in my mouth. "This is great"

"Yes, I think we're going to become regular customers here" I sipped on my milkshake. "So, have you decided where we're going next?"

"Not until we figure out somewhere to stay tonight, if we leave it for the last minute we'll have to make do with the car" he replied. "But I think we could go to the beach?"

"Sounds cool" I nodded.

"Say" a little woman packed with a handful of bags. "You guys need a place to stay?"

"Well, yeah" Ross turned to her. "Know of anywhere cheap?"

"If you two take my shopping home for me you can stay at my house" she grinned, a hint of sadness in her eyes. "Any company right now would be amazing, especially after Tim's death"

I looked at Ross and he nodded with a smile. "Sounds like a deal!"

We paid for our breakfast and took the bags off the lady, packing them in the back with our stuff.

"I never caught your name?" I smiled at her.

"Just call me Anna, and you two?" She paused before getting in the car.

"I'm Ross" he spoke from behind me and frightened me. He passed me the keys. "And this is Amelia"

"How lovely, are you two together?"

"Us? No" I chuckled. "We're just friends on a road trip"

"Best" Ross added.

"That's how Tim and I began" Anna sat down and put her seatbelt on. "Stick to the main road and I'll tell you where to go"