Thirteen

Two Weeks Later

I threw on Ross' leather jacket over my white t-shirt since mine had disspaeared.

It was just me and him once again. Connor had to go back and Tiegan kind of drifted off with him but to be fair, I preferred it this way. Just Ross and I.

This was our road trip anyway.

We returned to Vegas two days ago and decided to live up to the 'Robbers' music video by The 1975 and explore around.

"Look what I found" he held up two Penny boards. "There's an old skate park nearby"

"Then let's go, I race you there" I set mine on the ground and got on, pushing myself forward with speed. Eventually he caught up and held my hand as we cruised down the road together.

The park was reasonably empty but a group of hipster-like guys trying (and failing) at tricks. I turned to Ross. "So can you do anything too fancy?"

"I can go, stop and turn" he shrugged and laughed. "And occasionally jump over small objects but nothing too much otherwise I'll fall"

"Try going over my skateboard" I got off and he backed up. In he came at full speed and his board went over mine; he fell millimetres away from it.

Once I was done laughing, I wiped the tears in my eyes and pulled him up. "Goofball"

"You love me really" he placed his hands on my waist and kissed me quickly.

"Yes I do" I gave him a hug.

For the rest of the time, he sat at the edge of this empty pool smoking whilst I messed about with the Penny board attempting to do half of the stuff the group of guys were doing. For most of the time I was laying on the ground completely giving up.

For a moment I looked at Ross who was on the phone and then suddenly stood up and gestured for me to come over. I did a run up and climbed the side of the pool. "What's up?"

"Nothing, we just have to go" he took my hand and guided me away at a speed. I kept up as well as I could. "Am I going too fast?"

"YES! What's going on?" I asked as he slowed down, his thumb running circles on my hand.

"I got a call from Nick-"

"That little- what does he want?" I sighed.

"He told me some stuff" he said. "Remember the gang?"

"Like, everyday"

"Well, they're here"

I screamed and half of the people in this street glared at me. "In Vegas? As in, looking for you?! Oh my god this is not good, this is not-"

He froze staring far away. I shook his arm but no response. "Ross, Ross-"

"A Hispanic man. In front of that theatre" he said quietly. "Don't give it away, but he's the brother of the guy I shot. If you can see, he had a gun stuck to his belt"

I looked ahead and indeed an angry looking guy stared intensely at us.

"Let's go" he turned around. "There is too many people to shoot here, he won't aim"

I looked back and the man was striding to us.

"Run" Ross said and we broke into a fast sprint and turned a corner.

I couldn't avoid the tears. He held me by the shoulders. "Run to the left and go back to the motel- I'll meet you there, I'll just take the other way so he won't follow you. I love you okay?"

"I-okay" I sighed and kissed him before pulling him into a long hug, fearing it was the last one.

"Now go on" he smiled before running off to the left and I went to the right.

I ran.

I ran until my leg ached, my feet were sore, my vision a mess and my lungs were burning. I physically needed to stop but some sort of energy forced me to continue.

I reached a corner at full speed and reached the empty, desert like front of Haber Motel. 3 black cars were parked around the middle and I walked there, collapsing to my knees for air.

In the distance I heard noise but it was drowned out by the blood rushing through my veins.

"Amelia watch out!"

It was literally slow motion. Ahead of me was the same angry looking man from before with the gun and he pulled the trigger. I saw the bullet pass me and reach further back.

But the silence following the gunshot told me all. Especially the thud following it.