Chapter 3 | "so, you've chosen death"

Miyeon stood behind Renjun on the float as they made their way through the center of the city. All the people were gathered, the coming of age parade was the Kingdom's first chance to really see the royal family individually, rather than just the King and Queen with the princes in the background. Renjun stood at the front, a blindingly handsome smile on his face as he waved to the people, many of them screaming his name as all the young girls swooned over the prince.

Miyeon just stood at the very back, her eyes carefully scanning the crowd for any sign of danger. She was the only other person up in the float, trying to be as invisible as possible, which was easy since all eyes were on Renjun. The other guards were walking on the ground, 10 feet below the float platform.

"You know, you can still talk to me up here." Renjun said through his smile, casting a quick glance at Miyeon and letting out an amused huff when he noticed her focused gaze scanning the crowd.

"We agreed only in private, your highness." She mumbled back, still focused on the crowd.

"Oh come on, no one can hear us up here and this is boring. I love seeing the people but standing here and waving for an hour in silence is lame." He groaned, his voice low despite the smile still plastered on his face.

"This is a serious thing today, your highness, you can't be distracted. Neither can I, there's a lot of people here today and I dont want to see anyone pull anything." She continued to scan the crowd, an uneasy feeling suddenly running through her body.

"Oh come on, don't worry. The people love me, nothing will happen." He said with a smirk, continuing to wave at the people.

She didn't respond. Although she didn't see anything suspicious, she trusted her gut as her instincts were usually correct.

"Miyeon, is everything okay?" He asked, hearing her silence and glancing over his shoulder at her.

She still didn't answer, her eyes quickly flicking through the crowd for any strange activity. She was starting to think she was just nervous when she caught sight of someone slipping through the crowd.

It's probably just a citizen moving spaces to catch more of the parade.

But she couldn't shake the bad feeling and started searching for the person again. Now on high alert, her eyes picked through the the smallest of gaps between the people and began to see flashes of black. It was more than one person. She couldn't get a good look at anyone but as the parade moved on, she continued to see glimpses of the black-clad bodies weaving through the crowd.

The parade continued through the city and though Miyeon was concerned, nothing happened. It seemed as though the people were just moving with the parade.

"Hey," she felt a tap on her shoulder, turning to see Renjun glancing at her. "Relax, everything is okay." He flashed her a quick smile before turning back to the front.

She sighed, going back to scanning the crowd but she no longer saw the suspicious people moving through the gaps in the crowd. Letting out a huff of annoyance, frustrated at herself for getting distracted, she straightened up, thinking the people must've left.

Maybe Renjun was right. Those people were probably just following the floats or something. Stop being paranoid.

She relaxed her shoulders a bit, letting out a sigh as she stared out into the crowd. Renjun must've heard her and turned around to see her loosened up a bit.

"There you go." He said with a smile. "This is pretty cool, isn't it?"

"Yeah I guess so." He grinned at her answer, nodding his head as the two of them looked out over the crowd.