Chapter 16 | "because of you"

"Poisoned?" Renjun and Haechan exclaimed in unison as they spoke to the doctor.

"Yes, poisoned. And something strong too. It was in all of her cuts and blood tests." Dr. Kim said softly.

"So what does that mean? Is she going to be okay?" Renjun asked nervously.

"We don't know, honestly. The poison is in her bloodstream and quite a lot of it. It's definitely enough to kill her." Renjun's whole body froze when the doctors said that, hearing gasps coming from their friends behind him. "But we don't know for sure. It's all up to her now, if her body can heal fast enough then she'll be alright. We're in a waiting game."

Renjun felt his knees go weak, slightly stumbling to the side before Haechan supported him.

"You can go see her if you'd like, she's unconscious but in that room." The doctor pointed towards a door before turning and walking away.

Renjun nodded before going to open the door, walking in and seeing her frail body on a bed with a nurse tending to her. His heart broke at the sight, her skin was covered in bruises, blood staining through the bandages that were wrapped all over her body. All the color was drained from her face. She looked so lifeless.

He quickly made his way into the room, followed by the rest of the guard, Haechan, Yangyang, and his two brothers. They all gasped when they looked at Miyeon, the skilled assassin now long gone and replaced with a frail, young, 22 year old girl fighting for her life.

Renjun slumped on a seat, his head in his hands while resting his elbows on his knees and trying not to cry. His whole body was trembling, unable to look at her.

Mark noticed this and went to sit beside his younger brother, putting his arm over his shoulders and rubbing his back reassuringly.

"It's alright, Renjun, she'll be alright. She's a strong one." He whispered to his brother.

Mark continued to comfort Renjun as the others slumped into chairs or against walls, all still processing the girl that was in front of them. Haechan was crying into Yangyang's shoulder, Jeno also fighting back tears with a brave face. Jaemin couldn't even look at her, instead focusing on trying to calm down Chenle who was doing his best to not break down.

Jisung on the other hand wandered around the room, not wanting to look at her as the sight of blood made him sick. He strolled over to a small table by the side, observing the objects scattered on it. His eyes widened as his eyes landed on a bloodied piece of fabric.

"Mark? Renjun?" Jisung called from the far end of the room, looking at something on a small table. "Can you guys come here for a second? I want you to see something."

Confused, the two brothers walked over, their eyes widening at the sight of one of the objects on the table.

"Excuse me," Renjun asked one of the nurses, holding up a piece of fabric. "Where did this come from?"

"It was on one of her arms, probably from one the attackers when she tore them up and stuck to her because of the blood."

"I see, thank you."

"Of course, please let me know if you need anything else." The nurse dipped her head to the princes before giving them space and exiting the room.

"Renjun, isn't that...?"

Renjun let out a sigh, his eyes darkening in anger as his fist clenched around the small piece of fabric in his hands.

"I'll be back."

"Jun," Mark grabbed his arm. "Don't do anything stupid, okay?"

Renjun just shook off his brother, quickly nodding his head to his older brother. Mark knew he wasn't listening and released his grip on Renjun's arm. With that he tore out of the room, the anger radiating off of his body as he strode through the palace.

- - -

"How could you? How dare you do this to her?" Renjun growled angrily as he burst into the room, kicking open the door with a bang.

"Renjun, please. We're in an important meeting."

"I don't care. We're discussing this now, whether you like it or not." He said firmly, holding his ground with a glare. "You can choose whether you want all of them to hear or not." Renjun added, nodding his head to the others in the room.

"Would you all excuse us for a moment?"

The people in the meeting room all nodded, silently making their way out of the room as they cast nervous glances at the young prince.

"Now, what's got you all fired up?"

"Miyeon's mission. You sent her on a suicide mission! How could you do that?" Renjun yelled out angrily, slamming her fists on the table.

"I don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about." The king said with a huff, waving his hand at his son dismissively.

"Cut the bullshit, father." Renjun growled back as he pulled a piece of fabric out of his pocket and slammed it on the desk. "Explain this."

Renjun watched as his father's eyes widened upon seeing the material. On the slightly bloodied cloth was the unmistakable crest of the King's hidden guard. Only the royal family knew about it. They were a few elite squad of men who handled whatever private business the king

"Those weren't assassins you sent her after. They were your soldiers. You sent her alone to fight off three squads of your men! Why?" His voice was breaking, filled with a mix of anger and betrayal.

"I wanted to test her, to make sure she was properly trained. Fighting off a few dozen men should've been manageable for her." He replied with an indifferent tone.

"Liar. You never intended for her to live. Poison blades? Really, father? You knew she was strong, despite the 30 men you sent after her, you knew she might live through it. Why would you do this to one of your own people?"

"Because of you." The king said coldly, turning his gaze on his son.

Renjun recoiled in shock.

"Me?"

"Yes, you, my son." The king straightened up, fully turning his eyes on Renjun now. "She's caught your eye, hasn't she? I've noticed the way you look at her, always watching her with such fondness."

Renjun gulped as his father continued.

"You're distracted every time she enters the room and all too eager to speak with her at every chance you get. Even the visiting princess have noticed it, questioning your mother about the girl in black who seems to have your gaze glued to her like a magnet." His father growled angrily.

"Did you forget that you are a Prince? Renjun, you will wed soon, and when you do, it'll be to a princess of my choice. One who will bring strength to this kingdom under your brother's rule, do you understand me? I can replace that girl in a split second, and I won't hesitate to have her killed if this continues." His father stared him down with a threatening glare.

Renjun now had tears in his eyes, hurt by how cruel his father could be. The king smirked as he stared down at his son, knowing he had won.

"So, if that pretty assassin girl of yours lives past this, I'll leave her alone on a few conditions. You will say nothing of this to anyone, especially her. You continue on with your duties as prince and pay no attention to that girl. She's there to serve you and protect you, nothing more, and when it's time, you'll wed a princess of my choosing. If your gaze so much as lingers on that girl for too long in the presence of guests, I'll have her executed immediately. Have I made myself clear?" The king demanded with a threatening growl.

Renjun stared down his father, angry tears welling in his eyes and leaving trails burning into his cheeks.

"Crystal."