Chapter 10 | "blood on your hands"

Miyeon gasped when Yangyang brought her into the main room, seeing all the others gathered there already. There was a large target board set up, similar to the practice room, and 5 knives placed on a table about 30 feet away. She watched as guards dragged Haechan onto the floor, locking his arms and legs into chains in front of the targets, his face ghostly white as he stood frozen in fear.

"Son?" The King called out. "Come on, now."

Miyeon's eyes widened as Renjun stepped out from his position near the wall and went to pick up a knife, his hands trembling as he did so, with eyes full of worry and sadness.

"Alright son," the king spoke. "Teach this boy a lesson on respecting his superiors."

He let out a breath to try and calm himself but his whole body wouldn't stop shaking as he stared down at his best friend. He drew his arm back to throw and-

"Wait!"

He spun around at the sound of a voice, seeing Miyeon rush over from the entrance and walk over to the King, bowing her head and keeping her eyes cast downward.

"Your majesty, with all due respect, I don't think this is the best idea. I'm not trying to contradict you, but I don't want the prince to get injured, throwing knives is dangerous as well." She said quietly, her nerves shooting through her body.

She was well aware that the king could have her killed for speaking out of turn, but she couldn't let Renjun potentially kill his friend.

"I see. I presume you have better knowledge of knife throwing than I do, and seeing as though you've taken such good care of my family, I'll trust you on this." The king said with a surprisingly kind smile.

"Thank you, your majesty."

"So, what do you suggest we do, then? These boy disrespected my son and must face punishment."

"I offer myself and my own abilities. I have some experience with knife throwing, I assure you that I won't be injured." She replied with a level tone.

"Hmm, alright. Five knives and I expect them to be close. A little blood would be appreciated."

"Yes sir."

She quickly walked away from the King, going to stand near where Renjun was. He handed her the knife in his trembling hand.

"Thank you." He whispered before going to stand next to his brothers.

Miyeon let out a sigh, looking up to see Haechan looking at her with the same terrified expression as before. She trusted herself and her abilities, but this was a different type of pressure. She was used to throwing to kill, not this.

I better not screw up.

"Go ahead, Miyeon." The King said, his voice echoing around the room.

Zoning in on Haechan, she drew her arm back and threw it. The knife drove straight into the board directly next to his ribs, only about two inches away from his body. He jumped at the noise of the knife hitting the board, gasping as he saw how over half the blade buried was buried in the material.

She repeated her action on his other side.

"A little closer please." She heard the King say with an amused tone.