28.

"Your father doesn't know what he's talking about." Your mother said as she patted your head slowly, you head was in her lap comfortably. It was a position you usually took when you were tired from school and wanted a moment in her arms, her embrace was warm and calmed you down.
"But my grades are going down and I don't know-"
"I'll help you out with your homework, just keep it a secret from dad, ok?" You looked up and smiled at her cheeky grin, she placed a finger up to her lips as if this was going to be a secret between the two of you.
"I love you mom."
"I love you too sweetie." She said in her soft voice.
—-

You had thought about your dads outburst and it made you realise something you had completely forgotten, due to the fact you had been so caught up processing your feelings for Yuji. Today marked the 4th year since the incident that killed your mother, you'd usually remember it and go and visit her grave, but you had realised it too late and were now basking in even more guilt. You hated feeling hopeless though, so you got up and walked to the shoe rack you had just beside your door and began putting on your shoes. When you had finished you opened the door, revealing a surprised Yuji, you let out a little shocked squeak at the fact that he was there- you then started wondering how long he had been there.

"Where are you off to?" He asked, leaning down a bit so that his face was close to yours, you took a step away from him and shoved your hand in his face.
"None of your business dumbass." You replied semi-angrily. You were trying your hardest to hold up your facade of being alright so that you could go and see your mother.
"Come on don't be like that, where are you going- oooo if it's ice cream can we go to the new one that's just opened-"
"I'm going to visit my mom." You snapped, not wanting to talk to him any longer, you hated the fact he was trying to cheer you up right now- despite the small part of you that was happy that he was there with you and had cared enough to come and visit.

Yuji's face instantly became serious and his lips fell into a straight line. He didn't think much about the next words he said, but they stuck with you. "Then how about you introduce me to her." He replied, ignoring how rudely you had spoken back to him. You widened your eyes, no one had ever asked to come and see your mom with you, you thought nobody cared.
"My mom doesn't listen to dumbasses like you." You crossed your arms over your chest and teased him a little but he gave you a concerned look and you ended up giving in and telling him he could come with you.

You were secretly so happy that you didn't have to go alone, you had somehow always dreaded this day but this time round this boy had magically been able to take your mind off it.

When you arrived you got out of the car and begun walking into the graveyard, while you passing the other graves you walked silently until you said:
"Thank you Yuji." Under your breath. He turned to face you and gave you a reassuring smile.

You arrived in front of the grave and looked down at her name engraved on the stone. Someone had already put flowers for her and you quickly apologised to her for not bringing any. "Hello Mrs Masamichi, I'm Itadori Yuji and it's a pleasure to meet you." He said bowing. You smiled and felt your cheeks warm up.
"He's an idiot but he's alright I guess." You chuckled and got up on your tip toes to ruffle his hair. He grinned like an idiot and then with one swift but gentle motion grabbed your hand and intertwined it with his.
"I like your daughter a lot Mrs Masamichi and I hope that she realises that." He said in low but sweet voice, you looked up at him with a gentle smile.
"Mom I don't think Yuji realises how much he means to me." You muttered, lowering your gaze as you felt your cheeks become red with embarrassment. Yuji chuckled and squeezed your hand a little, it was as if he was reassuring you that he did know.

"I miss you Mom." You said in a small voice, it cracked a bit with emotion as you felt your floodgates beginning to overflow. You had tried your best to keep your emotions in check, but you were human and it was completely normal in the situation you were in to feel sad. Yet, you didn't want Yuji to see you cry again so you took a deep breath and blinked away the tears.

Yuji turned around and faced you, placing a kiss on your cheek. He was trying to tell you that it was ok to feel emotional and he hoped you understood that. You suddenly wrapped your arms around him, bringing him into a tight embrace. He immediately snaked his arms around your waist and held you close, you could feel his warmth in your arms and his heart beating in his chest- that was all that mattered right now.

"It's ok to cry (Y/n)." Yuji muttered into your hair as he felt you shaking, you were trying so hard to keep it together you hadn't even realised how shaken up you really were.
"I c-can't, not in front of her." You stuttered, gripping onto his shirt for dear life.
"Come on then, I think Kiyotaka's waiting for us in the car." Yuji said softly, rubbing your back with his hands.

You nodded and proceeded to let go, say your final goodbyes to your mother and walk back to the car. It was when you got into the backseat of the car that the sobs rose up into your throat and you begun shaking violently. Yuji instantly pulled you onto his lap like a child and held you into his chest with a firm grip that made you feel safe.

"I'm s-sorry." You stuttered, feeling guilty that he had to console you every time you began crying.
"Hey hey hey no, why are you apologising?"
"I don't want to be a burden, and I feel like I'm pushing all of my problems onto you." You replied honestly, hiccuping whilst you spoke.

Yuji was surprised that you had been that honest with him, and it was at that point that he realised how much you had changed since you first met him. He remembered you at the beginning being cold and reclusive. The fact that you used to barely speak, and when you did it was often in a blunt tone like Megumi's, and now you were opening up to him like a tulip in the sun made him take a moment to process.

Then he grabbed your face and placed his forehead against yours. "I want to know everything about you (Y/n) and you've never once burdened me. I'm so proud of you for being this strong." He spoke seriously and you felt a strange squeezing in your heart. It was like Yuji had possessed it and the fact that it was beating was only because you were in his arms.
"I love you Yuji Itadori." You whispered, trying to regain your normal breathing pattern. Itadori's eyes widened and he snapped his head away from yours but still maintained eye contact the whole time.
"What?" He asked, dumbfounded at the words you had just said to him. He looked more shocked than pleased and suddenly you felt your heart drop and you pushed him away.

Shit shit shit, you thought to yourself, trying to find a way to play it off. Yuji turned and faced you with wide eyes, they hadn't blinked since you had told him you loved him. Then he awkwardly coughed and scratched the back of his head, "(Y/n)...come back here please I want to tell you something." He said, patting his knee and indicating for you to sit on him again. You clenched your jaw and turned your head so that it was facing the window. He tried to slither his hand onto yours but you smacked him away.
"It's fine, forget I said anything." You snapped, beginning to build up the walls again that Yuji had desperately fought to destroy.
"No I'm not going to." He said angrily, the whole aura around him changing. You didn't dare to look at him, you were so embarrassed and ashamed that you didn't even want to see his face.

What you were doing was childish and you realised that, but you couldn't help it. After everything that had happened today why did he have that reaction when you finally admitted to him and to yourself how you felt.

Suddenly Yuji grabbed your arm and pulled you back into him, you tried to shrug out of his arms but you decided you couldn't really fight back without attracting Kiyotaka's attention. "Will you look at me?" Yuji said, trying to get you to face him.
"What so you can politely turn me down-" You turned to face him and he placed a soft kiss on your lips before whispering something in your ear. Your walls suddenly crumbled again and you felt a wave of relief wash over you.

Playfully you hit him and began asking him why he had that reaction, he simply replied saying that you had caught him off guard and he had never expected you to say that.

"I love you too (Y/n)."  He had whispered in your ear.