Cheated Out of Mortality (Chapter Eleven)

Chapter Eleven

When I found myself outside, standing in front of my front door, I was feeling extremely nervous.  What if they didn't believe me?  How could I explain it to them anyway?  This is going to be difficult.

I reached out with a trembling hand and opened the door, letting myself in and shutting it behind me.  My family were sitting at the table, all except my mom who was standing and setting a plate down in front of my dad.

"There you are Angie," my mom announced.  "Come, sit down so we can start eating."

I held my position, not even blinking.  It was time to tell them, but I couldn't seem to open my mouth.

"Darling, come on," my dad waved me over.  I still didn't move, trying to remember how to speak.

"Angelina, what are you waiting for?" My mom asked with a puzzled look.

"I... can't eat," I admitted after what felt like an hour, even though it hadn't even been a minute.

"What are you talking about?"

"I'll never eat again."

My family was all silent.  Finally, my mom broke the silence, giving me a concerned look.  "Did something happen?"

I nodded, still trying to figure out where to start my explanation.  I looked straight at her and decided to begin explaining, whether they chose to believe me or not.  "Please believe me?  I'm not lying."

Looking a little nervous, my mom nodded.

I began.  "I have always been able to see... ghosts.  I've never told you this, but it's true.  Not too long ago though, I was nearly hit by a car.  My life was saved by a ghost who's name I don't know."  I looked at Fez, who was standing next to me.

"I'm not going to tell you my name now after all of this time," He answered my unasked question.

I sighed, then continued.  "He's standing right here," I poked his shoulder.  "Because my life was spared, another ghost, Amanda, was going to kill me anyway.  Instead, she made me immortal.  Since I am immortal now, I don't have to eat and I'm not sure what will happen if I do eat so I'm not going to."  I had been monotone throughout the shortened story, never changing my blank expression.

After a moment of silence, Samantha snorted.  "Yeah, cause ghosts exist."  She laughed, looking at me with disbelief in her eyes.

"Remember the vacuum, Samantha?" I asked her.

She stopped laughing, but nodded.

"That was my ghost... friend here," I poked him again.  I don't know why I was now referring to him as my friend, but it seemed right.  He was strange, but so was I.  Maybe he could be my friend.

"Y-yeah right," Samantha said, but she looked a little uneasy.

"Angie, don't make up stories just because you don't want to eat dinner with us," my mom scolded me, looking slightly hurt.

"I'm not lying!" I said, my voice raising.  "I don't know why this happened, but it's all true!  I can see ghosts whether I want to or not!"

I turned to Fez.  "Fez, can't you do something to prove to them that I'm not lying?" I pleaded with him.

"Fez?" My dad questioned.

"It's the name I gave him since he won't tell me his real name," I explained to my dad, feeling a bit annoyed.

Fez flew over to my mom, my eyes following him.  He poked her back, causing her to jump.  She looked behind her, but found no one.  Then, Fez picked up one of the plates on the table.  My family watched it, and to them it seemed to be hovering in mid air.  I saw their eyes widen as I folded my arms and raised my eyebrows.