Cheated Out of Mortality (Chapter Eight)

Chapter Eight

Avery... I like that name!   I thought to myself.

Haley held a finger to her lips.  "You can't tell anyone his name, okay?" She demanded.

"I won't, promise," I promised her.  She held out her pinky, and I knew she wanted me to pinky promise, which I did.  Her finger is so little!

I looked at Fez, who had his mouth slightly open in shock.  Did he know Avery?  Is a little bell going off in his head because he's just now realizing something?  Dang-it, I'm curious know!  He closed his mouth and smiled.

"What?" I questioned his expression.

"Huh?  Oh, nothing," Fez muttered, secretive like he always was.

I gave him a puzzled look, but shrugged the matter off.  It would be easier now to look for Avery now that I knew his name, but there were still like, a gazillion people in this world that could be named Avery.  What if the dude's really old and dies soon?  Will his power still work even if he's dead?

"Thank you so much, Haley," I thanked the redhead.  She just smiled up at me.  I strolled in circles around her, biting my lip and swinging my arms in an innocent way.  "Is there any chance you could tell me his last name?"

"I've told you enough, sorry," Haley sadly said, looking down at the ground.

I sighed and stopped where I was.

"But," Haley's head shot back up, a huge grin on her face.  My hopes lifted as I felt her happiness increase.  "Isn't there anyway you could be happy as an immortal?"  My hopes dropped once again.

"What do I do when people start to notice my... never growingness?" I whined.

She pondered over that, then suggested "You could move and live somewhere else."  I groaned, so she changed the subject.  "Do you want to play with me today?" She jumped up and down on her toes in excitement.

"I guess, but wouldn't it be weird if I started talking to thin air and played with an invisible person?  People would get the wrong idea."

"We'll head over to the graveyard.  People won't notice us there like they would out in the open since there are many trees blocking their view."

I slouched.  Great, the graveyard.  Who would have thought that a five-year old girl would suggest there as the place she wanted to play at.  "What are we going to do there?" I questioned her.

"Good point.  Hm, do you have any games at your house?"

"Yeah, but what if someone comes in my room and sees me playing, whatever, by myself?"

She shrugged.  "Say you have an imaginary friend."

"That is not going to happen."  I started walking home, Haley and Fez following.  "Hey Haley?"

"Yeah?" She took twice as many steps since she was smaller than me.

"Could you tell me that dunce's name?" I thumbed Fez.

"No.  If he doesn't want you to know, then I won't tell you."

I pouted, but she didn't change her mind.  I sighed and continued walking home.  Then I remembered Spencer and Julie and turned around.  They were no where in sight, so they must have left.  Oh well.

When I got home, Haley immediately started to dance around the living room where Samantha was watching TV on the couch.  I couldn't help but smile as I watched Haley.  She noticed my sister lying lazily on the couch, then went over and stood right in front of her face.