Cheated Out of Mortality (Chapter Nine)

Chapter Nine

I ran into my dad's arms, still wearing my pajamas.

"Hey kiddo," he greeted me.  I let go of him.  He had short black hair and was rather tall.  I had to look up at him.  "How's my little girl been doing?"

"I'm doing fine, but I would worry more about Samantha if I were you," I warned him, eyeballing Samantha.

"What are you talking about?" He asked me.

"Well, she was yelling at the vacuum the other day..." I trailed off, giving my older sister a worried look.

She glared at me.  "It was moving and chasing me!" Samantha desperately tried to explain to our dad.

"I'm sure it was," he pretended to believe her.

"It was!" She threw her arms in the air.  Haha, no one believed her.

My dad set his golf bag down on the floor by the front door.  He then took off his coat and hung it up on one of the hooks we had nailed into the wall by the door.

"Why don't you go get dressed, Angie," mom suggested.  I looked down at my pink T-shirt and white and pink pajama pants.

"Good idea," I agreed, rushing back up the stairs and into my wonderful room.  Fez was laying on my bed, once again reading the same book as the last two times.

"Fez, what are you doing?" I scolded him, putting my hands on my hips.  He looked up at me, pointed to the book, then went back to his reading.  I walked over and tried to pull the book from his hands, but I found my hand slipping through it's pages as if they weren't even there.  "What the?"

"Since I'm holding the book I can make it just like me," he explained without looking at me.  He could make objects move through other objects as long as he was holding that object?  Wait, that was confusing.  He can make something he was touching impalpable to other objects.  That was easier to understand.

"Whatever, just put the book back when you're done," I surrendered.  He grinned, glad that he was victorious, this time.  "Wait, why did I come up here again?" I wondered, leaning to my right as I tried to remember.

"You came up here to open your window and scream 'I love socks' out it," Fez tried to trick me.

"Now I know for sure that was not why I came up here."

"Then why else would you come up here?"

"Oh yeah, to get dressed.  Get out!" I pointed at the door.  He got up, still holding the book with his thumb marking his page.  He floated past me and out of the door without a word.  Once he was gone, I looked through my clothes as I decided what to wear today.  I decided on a red V-neck with a small green and yellow flower sown into the bottom near my left hip.  Then I put on denim shorts and white socks.

I walked over to my dresser and pulled out my brush.  I brushed my hair then put it into two loose low ponytails.  I put on some mascara and lip gloss, then skipped over to my door.  I opened it and spun myself into the hallway, shutting the door behind me.  I saw Fez floating by the wall, focused on my book.

I ignored him and made my way downstairs where I found my dad munching on some waffles.  "Do you want any, Angie?"  He asked me after swallowing a bite.

"No, that's okay," I waved it off.

"Really?" My mom looked surprised, then worried.  "I haven't seen you eating lately, is everything okay?"

"Oh yeah, every thing's fine," I lied.  "I've been eating, you're just never around when I do."

"Alright then, but you haven't eaten this morning at all.  Why don't you eat now?"