Cheated Out of Mortality (Chapter Fifteen)

Chapter Fifteen

"Avery?" I copied her.  That's the name of the person I'm looking for, but everyone who's told me anything - which isn't many people now that I think about it - said that Avery was a boy.  This is probably just coincidence that she has the same name.  It's not like there is only one Avery in the entire world.  Though, that might make it much easier.

She gave me a funny look.  "Are you okay?  You seem troubled."

"Huh?  Oh sorry, I was just thinking about something."  How much am I allowed to tell her about it?

"Well, anyway, call me Av.  'Kay?"  She smiled at me.

"Yeah, fine."  I guess I'll just keep it a secret.  "So, where are you from?"

"California.  I love it there."

"Isn't that far from here?  How long did it take you to get here?" I said, astounded.

"It's cool.  You see, the land of the dead is like a transporter.  If you go in, it doesn't take long to go anywhere you want through a grave.  Of course, I shouldn't be the one explaining that since I was under Luke's direct control.  I have no memory of going down there."

"That's awesome.  Won't your family worry if you're gone for too long?"

"Nah, I'm gone for hours on end anyway.  My little brother may miss me if I'm gone for too long though, so I shouldn't stay here long.  You're the first person I've ever met that's like me."

"Huh, well that last part goes for me too.  It's nice to meet someone who can see apparitions too.  Although, when I was younger and up until recently I hated seeing ghosts.  I guess I've started to get used to them."  That was ever since Fez was forced to tag along with me.

"Really?  I find it interesting.  I'm friends with many ghosts back home.  It scares my brother sometimes though."  She sighed, but kept her smile.

"Your family knows about it?"

"Yeah, and they're pretty cool about it.  It took some effort to get them to believe me, but after that it all went smoothly."

It was my turn to sigh.  "I told my family a short while ago and they think I'm crazy.  They won't believe any of the proof I show them."

"Well then come on," Av instructed me.  "Let's go force them to believe it."

"What?" But it was too late.  Av stormed into my house with me and Fez in tow.  Samantha looked at her and my dad was in the kitchen a little startled.

Av approached him.  "Ghosts are real dude, and you need to believe your daughter.  In fact, I can see ghosts too and let me tell you, they're everywhere.  I travelled here from California through the land of the dead while possessed by a ghost to get here to meet Angie.  I may only be thirteen but listen to me when I say this: believe her!"

"Av..." I said, stunned.  My dad had wide eyes and even Samantha had gotten up and went to watch the determined girl.

"Excuse me," Dad said when he found his voice.  "Who are you?"

"My name is Avery, but I go by Av."

"Well, Av, ghosts don't exist, it is logical," he stated matter-of-factually.

I went up to stand against the kitchen wall and watch Av and my dad both.  Av rolled her eyes.  "What is it with adults and thinking that they know everything?  Gosh, it's like just because they've reached a certain age they think that they know more than anyone younger than them.  I bet I could give you a history lesson right now but I won't.  Since you haven't been in school for awhile then it's most likely that we know more than you because we just learned it.  So give it a second and realize that you need to trust other people!"  She almost shouted those last words.  "She's your family for crying out loud!  Do you really think she would make this up?"