Cheated out of Mortality (Chapter Sixteen)

Chapter Sixteen

I sat on my bed, hugging my bent legs and moping.  It had been a week since Av had visited, and at first it was a good week.  Alas, not all good things stay, and that's exactly what happened.  Just earlier today, I found out my mom had lied to us about believing me.  At the moment, her and Dad were arguing, which reassured me that he at least was on my side.  I still can't think of anything else that will prove to her how honest I'm being.  I could try and kill myself...but I'm too scared to do that.  I know I'm immortal, how could I forget?  Still, the thought of jumping off of our roof in an attempt to break my leg didn't sit well with me.

My door opened, and in walked in Samantha.  She was holding a small box in her right hand and held it out to me.  "I found this in my room."

I took the box from her, inspecting it.  There wasn't anything on it, just a plain box.  Shrugging, I attempted to open it, but the box seemed quite defiant with me.  The dang thing just wouldn't open, no matter how hard I tried.  "It won't open."

"That's my fault, it's a long story, but here." She took the box from my hands and wrenched it open with strength I obviously didn't have.  Such weak arms of mine.  She handed it back to me and I peered inside.  There was a small bag of still useful clay.  I cocked my eyebrows at her in suspicion.  "And where did you get this?"

"I took clay from you awhile back when I was mad at you.  It was months ago, and I completely forgot about it.  So here, take it back, have fun, go nuts."  She walked out, shutting my door behind her.  I smiled at the closed piece of wood, glad to have some clay back.  I didn't have much left, so it was nice.

Having fun with clay normally sounded like a good idea to me, but right now I didn't want to be at home.  I wanted to be outside and doing something.  Sitting at home and hearing the faint argument from my parents wasn't inviting at all.  So, with the thought of outdoor freedom in mind, and a new sense of bravery, I opened my window and looked down.  Yes, I could just jump out and avoid any consequences, but leaving my window open is something I didn't want to do.  I didn't need bugs flying in.

Then I remembered my ghostly friend.  "Fez," I called out without turning around.

"Yeah?" The ghost answered.

"After I jump out this window, can you close it behind me?  Then you can follow however you want."  I prepared to jump out, placing a foot on the window sill.

"Sure, whatever."

Needing nothing more, I forced myself to leap out the window before I could hesitate any longer.  For a moment, I felt that feeling of falling, which I was doing after all, and then hit the ground and fell over.  Of course I fell over, I wasn't very graceful on my feet anyway, now was I?  Clumsy old me.

I picked myself up, standing up and waiting for my companion.  I didn't have to wait too long for him to easily float down, actually landing on his feet with the intention of walking.  It was cloudy outside, so it wasn't too hot.  Yeah, I still got hot these days.

"Where are we going?" Fez asked, looking bored like he usually did nowadays.  Well, I guess it was better than being alone, but I hadn't been much fun as of late.

"I don't know, but anywhere but here.  Let's just take a walk and observe the wonders of nature at its fullest."  I began marching off with that said, but just walked normally after about ten steps like that.  I couldn't hear footsteps behind me, but somehow I knew Fez was walking.  Don't ask how, just did.  Not going very far, I was bored already, and turning around I faced Fez with a determined gaze.  "How about a little talk?"

He stopped, raising an eyebrow in a way that looked a little sarcastic, if that was possible.  He sighed, then said, "What is it this time?"

"Come on, tell me something.  How old are you really?  How long ago was it you died?  You killed you?"  I fired away, and these questions were some I'd rather like answered.