Cheated out of Mortality (Chapter Seven)

Chapter Seven

"No, don't cry!"  I tried to stop her, but it wasn't working.  "I'm not crazy!  Don't be afraid."

She looked at me.  It didn't seem like any tears had emerged yet. Phew!

"I'm not going to cry," the girl promised me.  "I can't cry.  I'm a ghost."

Of course she is.  So, if it wasn't because she saw me talking to myself, then why did she look so sad?

The girl pointed at the Spencer and Julie, then at me and Fez.  "Do you all really think reapers are that bad?" She asked.

"Well-" I began, but Spencer cut me off.

"It's not that we think they're bad, it's just..." he trailed off.

"I'm a reaper," the girl surprised me.  "My name is Haley."  I suddenly felt warmth inside, like all my troubles had disappeared.  "I know that... most of you ghosts, fear us reapers, but I hope you don't fear me."

"I'm terribly sorry," Spencer apologized.  "I've heard of you.  You are the reaper that brings happiness.  I can feel your power..." he gazed upward at the clouds.

I walked over and bent down by Haley.  "I'm sorry, it's just the other reaper I met only made me feel scared."

"Amanda?"  Haley smiled.  "She does that a lot."  She giggled, as if she had never been sad to begin with.

I gave a sigh of relief, then stood up.  "You're pretty young."

"I'm five.  I'm also the youngest reaper!" She seemed pretty proud of herself.  Haley reached out and took my hand, pulling me back in the direction that I had came.  "I want to talk to you.  I think it's the most awesomest thing that you can see us ghosts!"  She was walking backward now, still tugging on my hand.  Fez was following me, but the other two stayed where they were.

"Where are we going?" I asked her.

"To the- woah!" she slipped and fell backwards, releasing my hand.

I gasped.  "Are you okay?"  I bent over to help her up.  She was laughing, and couldn't help myself from chuckling a bit with her.  She got up and skipped in front of me.  I watched her as we followed her.  She seemed to be having fun, and it made me smile.  I reflected her happiness.  It felt nice to be flooded with a wonderful feeling than with a truck load of fear.

"Hey, did you know that I know what you're looking for?" She cheerfully asked.

I shook my head.  "No. I didn't."

"Well I do!  I even know the boys name!"

I stopped.  Haley realized that I wasn't following her anymore and spun around to see why.  Fez stared down at me, but I wasn't paying attention to him.  I was looking right into the girls blue eyes.

Haley brushed a few strands of her red hair out of her face and smiled at me.  "Is something wrong?"

"You know who I'm looking for," I stated the obvious.

"Yep!"

"Then could you please tell me who it is?"

She thought about it, then replied with a "Nope!"

My hope shrunk.  "Why not?" I whined.

"Because that would be against the rules silly!"  She skipped over to me, swinging her arms back and forth without a care in the world.

"What do you mean by that?"

"You were punished for not dying.  I can't just help you get out of your punishment."