ch 12: the Pernum forest

Where do you possibly go when a dramatic Duke family is looking for you? The mountains? the oceans? the forests? I am almost out of ideas. The rate at which the gossips of people are going south is absolutely nuts. The rumours started with Alistair running away and the Duke becoming a whining princess, and this storm has now evolved into something more huge. Guess what? Some royal pain second prince of the neighbouring conservative kingdom of Gregoria has asked my hand in marriage and their royal family is adamant. Who knew that if the villain wants to live a peaceful life, it will become an international issue.Now the knights of the dukedom and even mercenaries, my secondary option of redemption are frantically chasing after the mice, because they paid to do so.

Yep, you heard that right "Marriage". I have seen villainess tropes where the prince of some other country marries the villainess. It sounds fun, exciting and something I would totally route for! But When that marriage hand is turned towards me...umm Definitely not. I don't want to get involved in with any royal arsehoke again, not in this life!

The journey took some really painful twists and turns, but guess what, I am finally inside the forest. Pernum forest is your normal fantasy like forest minus big scary animals that chase after you for no reason. The song of birds that echo through the skies. The cool, fragrant eastern winds purify your body and I don't have any place to sleep or eat. Just what are you supposed to do after you become a forest dweller? Do you build a house first? Do you look for food? I have only been going in circles to end up in the similar places again and again.

As you go more inwards into the forest, you will the trees going bigger and bigger. When elven settlements are abandoned, they use magic to conceal all traces of once having lived here, so thinking of getting to live in an empty elf house is futile. It doesn't even look like those pointy ear vegetarians have once lived here. Riku had been really faithful till now, we had fought like crazy on the way and definitely don't like each other that much. Yet he sticks to me like gum. The aura that he gives off scares away all the beasts within ten metre radius.

You don't walk without reason in the forest, you need a place to live, food, water and other sources of existence that can help you survive for long term here. Even with the teleportation device, I can't keep going in and out of the city, for a few grains of food. If I get caught by those soldiers, I will definitely become a bride!

Riku's pov

I have only observed these ants from afar, but being one of these feels kinda- weird?

These huge structures that I watched from afar, were a bit-- fascinating I guess? Huge crowds of  these rats going here and exchanging the stuff they want for gold and vice versa. These "clothes" feel a bit itchy and stuffy though, but they are equally comfortable. Personal involvement with human beings goes on a whole other level. Everything is just so huge and wide, and I never felt anything like this before.

Maybe they were attracted to this scale of lifestyle. But doesn't it appear kind of stuffy and busy? like there's no such thing as rest and peace.

By the way, my omega contractor is the most peculiar anomaly of all.
He occasionally fights for small reasons. Does he have a talent in pissing people off? For I have never felt "peace", just "pissed" till now. I just thought of teasing him a little and he got so offended... Wow.

Everyone just looks the same, but they exchange their enslaved kind for gold and money. How in the world can one do that to themselves?

the food tastes a lot better than those earned by simple hunting and gathering. But he was on the verge of tearing up while eating, the best you could  do in that case is to ask what happened which he responded with  scream and anger... are all humans like that? He did apologize later, but I just can't understand what happened. We don't speak much either. If we did, I don't think we would get along that well.

I am currently walking through the nature with this pipsqueak. It looks like his family is chasing after him, and he has to hide... Of all things, he decided to be a hermit inside a desolate forest. Talk about bad choices, there could be a lot of beasts, insects, and the Gods-know-what could be lurking in here. Its just tall trees everywhere and everything just looks the same. We had been walking for hours now... Just what does he want to do here?

************************************
(Back to)MC's pov
We had been going in circles for hours till we arrived at something that looked like a small house.

I knocked in a few times for a response, but there was no response. We pushed through the door, trying to break in and the door broke in with a collapse, unveiling a wrecked and utterly ruined interior. It was as if someone had broken in mercilessly removed all signs of life's existence. There were also claw marks and old blood stains.

Just what the heck had happened here!? I moved in,a bit closer to expect what could possibly have been the case, when something pushed me hard , which made me fall on the floor.
"Human!" He screamed in terror.

We both were actually on the floor, it was him who had done that. I was about to complain in anger, when I looked at his face, which was in complete shock. Just what had he seen? I turned my face in that direction.

"....W- what the heck!.."

************************************
Hello everyone, it's the author here!

So I have recently made some changes in the story, since Riku's character looked a bit bland, I also removed the "instant attraction" and recieving memories from Riku's end so we can actually see some potential conversations.

Please tell me if there are some parts that feel you unsatisfied, if there are any typos or if you don't find these changes okay.
Leave your thoughts in the comments down below!

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*.✧