41

Seonghwa

My leg was bouncing as we sat in the cab. I anxiously stared out of the window at the passing sceneries. What helped me calm down a little was Yeosang playing with my fingers. He could probably sense my uneasiness.

"Did something happen?" He asked quietly. I let out a shaky breath. "She didn't specify. Something with m-my brother... I just h-hope..." I mumbled but the words got caught in my throat. I wanted to hope for the best but all the worst-case scenarios filled my head. Yeosang hummed quietly and intertwined our fingers. "It'll be fine.." he said in a soft tone.

We arrived at the hospital and I paid for the ride. Holding onto Yeosang's hand, I started walking inside. I generally didn't like hospitals much, mainly because they remind me of that night but I could deal with it. 

"The room's this way..." I mumbled, knowing the way right away when I was met with the white interior of the place. Yeosang only followed. I was glad that he was there with me. If anything he could calm me down if I was to freak out.

We arrived on the right floor. I stopped outside the elevator and looked down at the ground. Yeosang suddenly hugged me. "Calm down..." he said quietly. I let out a sigh. "I'm trying.. I just..." I struggled. "I just want him to be fine..." I whispered weakly, hugging the smaller figure back.

We stood there hugging for a few minutes before I pulled away. "Okay... I can do this.." I mumbled and took a tight hold of the younger's hand. If he was dead; I would have to just deal with it. It wasn't getting any easier to see him in that vegetative state but it wouldn't be easy to live with the loss.

We continued walking down the hallway and soon enough arrived at the right door. "Do I stay out here or..?" I turned to the younger one after hearing the question. "If you don't mind..." I said and smiled. "Of course. I'll be here if you need me," he said and pointed at the seats line up against the wall.

I hesitated a little before pulling the door open. I walked in, eyes pointed toward the floor. "Seonghwa-ah..." I heard my mother say. It took me a few moments of internal pep-talking to look up.

When I did, tears instantly flooded my eyes. It was my mother, stepfather, and my brother who was sitting up, looking at me eyes wide open. "Fuck..." I cursed and slapped a hand over my mouth. 

My mother smiled at me brightly. I couldn't help but let the tears fall as a sob escaped from my mouth. "Why did you call me sounding like he was dead?" I whined through the tears and rushed over to the hospital bed. Without even hesitation, I pulled the older man into a hug. 

"I'm sorry." my mom chuckled quietly and gently patted my back. I pulled away from the hug and wiped away my tears. "Do you two want to be alone?" My stepfather asked. I glanced at the two adults and nodded. "If it's fine?" I asked.

The two left, saying they'd be outside. I sat down on the chair my mother had just gotten up from. "You look like you have seen the dead rise." My brother joked. I let out a soft chuckle. "Well. When you put it like that.." 

"You grew up well... I wish I had been there." He then said. I looked down and smiled softly. "I had a good role model to base my life on.." A hand raised to my hair and I felt him ruffle the strands. 

"So... Nine years..." Neither of us clearly didn't know what to say. "Yeah.. Almost a decade... We, in all honesty, were losing hope.." I mumbled out and frowned slightly. The older sighed. "How have you been?" He then asked, trying to change the topic into something more casual. 

"Good, for the most part... I have a stable job, friends, and everything's going smoothly," I responded and suddenly I remembered Yeosang being outside. "Shit.." I mumbled and looked over at the door. My brother chuckled. "What?" He asked and I turned back to him. "I came with.. Uh..." I scratch my head. "A girlfriend our mom didn't know about?" "No, but something like that... I just hope they aren't making him uncomfortable.." 

"Him?" My brother asked, raising his eyebrows. "Oh yeah, I'm Bi. Surprise. But I kinda was on a date and he came along and yeah..." The older chuckled and nodded his head. "Is he nice?" I instantly nod my head, feeling instant joy with Yeosang being the topic. "He's the cutest." 

"You talk like you've met your soulmate. Knowing our mother she's asking him questions." My brother hummed and leaned against the wall his bed was against. "Sorry to bring the mood down, but.. You didn't... You didn't feel too bad about being the only one who came out of the crash fine, right?" My brother asked quietly.

I frowned. "Of course there was guilt... But I've dealt with it and eventually, I only felt it when I thought about it too much..." I could mention the issue with thunder at a later time. My brother nodded his head. "I'm sorry." "Don't be."

"When can you leave the hospital?" I asked, tilting my head. "I have to go to physiotherapy for a while so I'll have to stay for some time, but I don't mind."

Suddenly the door opened. "Park Seonghwa!" My mother yelled, making me turn to look at her. "Yes...?" I asked. Should I be concerned? "Why the hell did you tell me you weren't busy when you were on a date!?" She asked and crossed her arms. "And why didn't you tell me you were going on  a date?"

I then noticed Yeosang standing behind her, looking worried. "I... Forgot..?" I said and the woman scoffed. "The audacity of this kid. He's going out with the sweetest being and doesn't even bother to mention it." She tsked and walked off, probably back to her husband. I glanced at my brother who let out a snort.

"It's our first date. Hey! Did you force the answers from him?" I asked and stood up. "No. He politely answered when I asked who he was." She yelled from the hallway. I sighed and pinched the bridge of my nose. 

Yeosang shyly peeked into the room, his soft brown eyes instantly falling onto me. I showed him an Ok sign with my hand and raised my left eyebrow in a questioning manner. The younger nodded his head, sending me a soft smile. 

"Ask him to come in. I want to evaluate my up-and-coming brother-in-law." 

~~~~~

happy things to cure my depressive state (I've been writing a whole ass sad chapter for another story so... gotta brighten up da mood) hahahahaha i'm fine

i'm behind on a drama bc kissasian ain't updating the episodes so i have nothing to dooo

anyways. since this story ain't huge and if you just happen to binge read&vote it; i might check out your profile for fun. admitting to this habit might be weird but it is what it is