42

Yeosang

Seonghwa entered the hospital room and I sat down on one of the chairs in the hallway. I eye the hospital hallway a little, feeling a bit uncomfortable. Hospitals made me feel anxious due to the reasons I've ever visited one.

I pull out my phone to see Wooyoung bombarding my phone with messages asking how the date was going. I roll my eyes and respond with the OK hand emoji and close the phone afterward.

I glanced at the door and sighed. I hope everything was fine and nothing had happened to Seonghwa's brother. He had been in there for a while now so I just hoped was nothing serious.

Suddenly the door opened and I instantly straightened my posture. Out walked an older couple. Seonghwa's parents, most likely. I look down and huff quietly, squeezing my phone gently. "I'm sorry." A woman's voice spoke up. I raised my head and look around a bit, realizing there's no one else around. "Yes?" I asked, figuring that she was talking to me. 

The older woman smiled. "Are you a friend of Seonghwa's?" She then asked and I instantly nod my head. "I figure you're his mother?" I asked and stood up, bowing a little. She waved me off. "No need to be so polite, dear." She reassured. 

I sat back down and huffed softly. "He said he wasn't busy. Did he drag you here?" The woman asked, a soft smile gracing her lips. "We were just hanging out. I came of my own accord... He seemed like he needed support." I respond honestly, glancing at the door. 

"You're a sweetheart." I smile a bit at the compliment and wave my hands. "I try to be nice.." I then shrugged a little bit. 

I didn't mind that our evening got interrupted like this. It showed me a part of Seonghwa I'm sure he doesn't like showing often. A vulnerable side. Call it weird but I'm sure if he didn't want me to see it, he wouldn't have asked me to stay that night during the thunderstorm, nonetheless taken me to the hospital with him while he's on the brink of breaking down.

"So... Is there anything going on between you two?" His mother then asked, making me snap back to reality. "I... Huh... What?" I stutter a little, a soft blush spreading onto my cheeks. She raised her eyebrows a little. "I just... We..." I cleared my throat. I'm sure it was fine to admit it? If she asked about it she clearly wasn't homophobic.

"We were on a date before coming here," I mumbled out and heard her gasp. "The audacity of that kid. He didn't even tell me!" She huffed. I glanced at her, surprised by the response. "What's your name, kid?" The older man finally commented in. I glanced at him. "Kang Yeosang... Nice to meet you." I introduced myself.

Okay, maybe this was a bit overwhelming.

Seonghwa's mom suddenly stood up and I followed the action as she rushed to the door, yelling out her son's name. Oh god.

I followed the conversation in silence as I stood behind the woman. Quickly she walked back to the chair and sat down, not forgetting to send me a soft smile. I smiled back at her carefully before turning my head to peek inside the room. 

My eyes landed on Seonghwa who was instantly asking me if I was okay, while he was the one who had puffy eyes from crying. I nodded my head before smiling. My eyes then turned from my date to the other man sitting up on the bed who whispered something to Seonghwa.

Seonghwa visibly rolled his eyes before turning his attention to me and signaled with his hand for me to come in. I hesitated a bit. Was it really okay? I presumed that the other man was his brother who had woken up from his coma. Wouldn't it be exhausting to have so many visitors right away?

I bit my bottom lip gently before stepping in and closing the door. I rubbed my hands together as I walked closer to the bed. "No need to be so shy. I don't bite." Seonghwa's brother joked in a soft tone. I can see where Seonghwa had gotten his tone from. "What's your name?" The man then asked.

"Kang Yeosang. And you?" I introduced myself for the second time in one day and then returned the question and sat down on a chair that Seonghwa pulled for me. I smiled at my date a bit who pat my hair comfortingly. "Park Younghwa." He said, eyeing me afterward. "I'm not disappointed with your taste in guys, Seonghwa."

Seonghwa scoffed. "Stop checking him out." The guy spoke pulling my chair closer to him protectively. His brother nodded his head. "Fine, fine." He sighed. I smiled a bit crookedly. 

I admired the other two guys' relationship as brothers. It's what it should be and not whatever I and Jaejoong have. It made me a little jealous.

"So. Basic questions. How did you two meet?" Younghwa asked. Seonghwa and I glanced at each other. "Through friends..." Seonghwa stated, smiling a little. Their first meeting could be saved for just their memories. "And we work across from each other so.. Ended up meeting more often." The older continued while I stayed quiet. 

I might start rambling if I open my mouth and I doubt anyone wants to hear that.

"And that's it?" Younghwa asked as if he was disappointed. "I mean yeah. I'm not the most social person so... It's even a wonder I managed to start talking to him." I explained, scratching my head a little bit. "But thanks to an idiot called Wooyoug; here we are, I guess." 

The oldest guy nodded his head. "And he's been nice, right? Not a little rascal?" he asked quietly. I glanced at Seonghwa and chuckle. "He's been more than nice," I confirmed and smiled softly. "I trust you on that. Tell me if he starts acting up." "Yah. I'm still here." Seonghwa interrupted. "And start walking first. Then you can put me in my place again; if you can."  The guy continued and sighed afterward. 

The door opened and a doctor walked in, interrupting the conversation. "Visiting hours are coming to an end." The woman informed the couple who nodded. "I'll come back after work tomorrow if I have time," Seonghwa told the older man who nodded his head once again as if it was the only head movement he knew. "Sounds like a plan. I'll see you around too, Yeosang."

I nodded my head a little. "If Seonghwa keeps me around, then yeah." I joked cursing inside my head at the slightly self-deprecating joke. 

We exit the hospital room and Seonghwa pulled me into a hug in an instant. I smiled softly and hugged him back. "I told you... It was going to be fine." I said quietly. The older hummed quietly, pressing his head into the crook of my neck. "I'm so glad." He said quietly. 

The sound of a throat clearing came from behind us and Seonghwa pulled away first, leaving me craving the warmth from his body. "You have a lot of explaining to do, Seonghwa." The older's mother stated, crossing her arms. She wasn't angry. Or maybe it was, but it definitely wasn't a bad sign. 

Seonghwa sighed softly. "I was gonna tell, once we got more serious..." He mumbled out. I opened my mouth but one look from the woman made me zip my lips. She clearly wanted an explanation from Seonghwa. Not that I could really defend him.

"Still. I'm your mother." She whined a little, her expression softening. Seonghwa rubbed his face a little. "It also was because I wasn't sure if Yeosang was comfortable with it," he then stated and I turned to him, surprised. I was a bit hesitant because I wasn't sure if his family was homophobic like my own so but I don't think I had ever expressed the hesitancy.

Maybe he just could read me well. And I felt happy about him respecting my boundaries and asking me before he would do anything. Not many people I've been in contact with are like that. Wooyoung skipped some stages of getting to know me, but he still was respectful when I asked for space.

"I... My own parents weren't fine with my whole... Sexuality thing so.. I guess it's a habit to assume other families might be like that... Not that I ever expressed it to Seonghwa.." I explained, lowering down my voice at the last part. It's not like them knowing my family is homophobic would change anything. His parents seemed to like me and that's all I really could hope for.

"Ah... I see." Seonghwa's mother said nodding her head. "I understand, then." she hummed, sending a smile my way before walking over and hugging me. That came out of nowhere. "Welcome to the family, nonetheless."

A smile spread onto my lips hearing the words.

Family.