Chapter 6

"I still don't understand understand how can Shadowhunters be better than what you people call mundanes?"Clary asks as we enter the Institute.
I stayed silent, I knew that they didn't see me as a mundane but it still stings a little when they talk bad about us.

"Because we protect humans " Izzy says immediately.

"You're right. Humans, you protect humans. You left Simon alone in the van. Good job, guys. You rock." Clary told them sarcastically.

"There is some truth to the idea that human beings should have a modicum sense. No offence Emilia"

"Alec, not now." Izzy scolds her brother.

"Non taken. Clary , at least they tried, Isabelle already feels bad enough and she apologised." I talk, yeah I didn't have the same bond Clary did with Simon, but he's my best friend too and I care deeply for him.

"Look, they won't do anything to Simon. They just wanted to draw you out. They want the Cup and they think you have it." Jace explains.

"But why do they think that? Why does anyone think that?" Clary looks at us.
" What my mom lied to me my entire life except, « Oh, by the way, there's this magic Cup, I hid on, like the planet Bongo, but don't tell anyone. What am I supposed to do now?"

"We have to report to the Clave." Alec responds.

"They have to know we've learned about Valentine. And we could tell them about Emilia, they might know what you are."

"Ok then go ahead." I tell him nodding.

"What about Valentine, that he's my father?" That made us stop." Great. Fine. Tell them. What good does that do Simon?"

"Clary, it's all connected the vamps want the Cup" Jace clarifies.

"Why it makes new Shadowhunters." Clary says nonchalantly whilst I widen my eyes surprised.

"Nobody wants Valentine forming an army loyal to himself." Alec justifies.

"Plus it controls demons." Izzy ads.

"Wow, so if it ends up in the wrong hands we'll be damned." I voice out and they all nod.

"They'll propose a trade. Simon for the Cup." Jace informed us.

"So vampires trade Simon for the Cup, and Valentine will trade my mother for the Cup. Either way I lose someone I love." Clary sighs." What if I just toss it up the air and let them fight it out among themselves?"

"So this doesn't matter to you?" I elbow Alec, he clearly knew she didn't mean it. He glares at me and I do the same. He may be nice to me but he's been an complete as-hole to Clary since the start.

" Yes, of course it matters." She snaps and me and Alec face her.

"Listen...when you saved my life...I put my trust in you. Now I need you to put your trust in me. I can't turn into what you are overnight."

"It's true. She was raised as a mundane." Izzy backs her up.

"What are you, her spokesman now?" Alec says to Izzy.

"Let the damn girl talk." I tell him.

"I don't need a spokesman, I need a plan." She walks away and we follow her. We enter the Ops Center." Uh, look at all this stuff, these screens. I mean, can any of this help me find Simon?"

We surround a table." Where is he anyway? Some kind of crypt in Transylvania?"Clary wondered.

"Actually, no. That was Camille's outfit, right? They're locals." Jace responded.

"They're at the Hotel DuMort, down in Gansevoort Street." Izzy tells us.

"And we came back here? Why? We have to go there. Let's go, now. Come on." Clary gestures towards the door.

"We need a Clave resolution for that." Alec explains.

"The five of us can't declare war on the vamps all by ourselves." Izzy reasons.

"And we can't react without considering our options. Dowmworlders are slaves to their impulses. We're not." Alec ads.

"Alec, you can't stomp on all Downworlders.." Izzy says protectively.

"Oh, that's right. Seelies have their charms, apparently." Alec teases.

"Right" Jace teases too.

"Seelies?" Clary asks.

"Like faeries. The Fair Folk. And pixies,nixies, elves... anybody half-angel, half-demon. It's pretty much a catch-all term." Jace explains furthermore.

"Izzy can tell you all about them. She's got a thing." He teases again.

"We're all got our things, don't we?" Izzy tells her brother and he loses his smile. I want to ask what is it, but it looks really private.

"Okay, I can't listen to this. Simon's been kidnapped by vampires. I guess I'll just take care of it myself."

Clary walks away and I roll my eyes, she can be really stubborn sometimes. She clearly knows that she can't save Simon alone and needs their help.

"Clary, you're gonna get yourself killed." Jace tries but she doesn't stop.

"Clary, Simon, too." She stops at what I just said. I knew her weaknesses and it came in handy in this type of situations.

She comes back." Then help me. While we consider other options, my best friend is suffering. Is that something Shadowhunters understand or am I just being a mundane?"

The three experienced Shadowhunters share a look.

"Clary's right." Jace speaks. Of course he was gonna side with her, he clearly liked her or at least was attracted to her. "They made the first move. We're gonna take care of this ourselves, right now."

"This is a bad idea. I..." Alec starts but is cut off by Jace.

"What, have you got a better one? Look the vamps broke the Accords. They kidnapped a mundie. That's a big no-no. The Clave will give us a lecture and they'll be glad we did it. Come on."

"Hard to argue with this one." Isabelle smirks.

"Even if we went ahead, I don't see how we get out of here without having to explain where we're going. We need weapons, and we can't let anyone see us get them." Alec tries to reason the other before making a mistake.

"I know where to get what we need." Jace informs us and we all look at him curiously.