Chapter 24

I had followed him and Lydia to one of the medical rooms, Izzy wanted me to keep an eye on him. Something about him ruining his paratai bond, I didn't understand all of it. I had to stay a few meters from them so they wouldn't get suspicious, and I lost some part of their conversation. I was behind the wall hiding from their sight.

"I'm not letting Jace sacrifice my sister for his girlfriend's pointless crusade. We're doing this. If you don't want to help get out."I heard Alec's voice.

"I'll help...but one condition."This time it was Hodge.

"What?" Alec asked annoyed.

"You don't let it go too far. Now you're bond with Jace can withstand a certain amount of strain. But you have to promise me that you won't let it break."

"Jace is dead to me."

"Alec?" Hodge was surprised.

"You don't know how dependent you are on the bond or how dependent you are on each other." Lydia warned.

"I have to do this, for Izzy."

"This will be very, very painful." Hodge notified.

"Don't do it." I came into the room but Alec ignored me.

"Do it."

Hodge took out his stele and traced a rune on Alec next to his parabatai rune. When he was halfway, I started to feel a burning sensation on the left side of my lower abdomen. I groaned and they all looked at me. I lifted my shirt and there in my skin was the same rune traced.

"Is this rune, for a parabatai bond or for a all the bonds Alec could have?" I asked wincing.

"All the bonds, I didn't know he was bonded to you. I'm sorry." Hodge apologised but was intrigued.

"Why are we linked?" Alec asked panting.

"I don't know ." Alec nodded, of course I was lying, first Hodge was in the room with us and his aura is a little sketchy, then there was Lydia, his fiancé.

"Just continue, I'll be fine." I grunted. "How do you always burn yourself, it hurts like hell." I joked trying to ease the tension.We kept grunting as the pain we felt was slowly increasing.

"Concentrate. Reach out with your mind... and your heart. Use every strand. Every fiber that is connected to him." Hodge spoke.

"Whatever you do think about him, not me, only him." I uttered, it was the first time this happened, and I didn't know what could be the outcome.

"It's working. I can see him." Alec gasped and grunted." Jace."

"You know where he is?" Hodge asked.

He nodded and screamed.

"Ahh." I dropped to my knees. " I told you to not think about me. Whatever you're trying to find, stop." I could feel him reaching through our bond.

He stood up and walked to me holding his side. He crouched beside me.

"What are you hiding?" He asked wincing.

"Nothing, you need to know. It's none of your..." I fell but Alec grabbed me before my head could touch the ground.

"I'll go find them and we'll talk later." He lifted me up and dropped me smoothly on the bed he was laying before. Then he left with Lydia and Hodge.

When the rune disappeared, I felt better and stood up. I went to the kitchen to get Izzy and I something to eat. To go from the kitchen to where Isabelle was being held, I had to walk trough a open hallway that was connected to the monitors room and the other corridors that led to the dormitories. When I walked in, everyone had stopped working and was staring Lydia talking to a woman who looked to be of importance. I couldn't see her face, because her back was facing me but she looked familiar. I stood quietly next to Alec, my hands holding a tray of food.

"Did you find Jace and Clary?"

"No"

"Who's she?" I asked him lowly.

He glanced at me sideways." The Inquisitor, she's here for Izzy's trial." He muttered.

"We'll begin this evening." The Inquisitor told everyone.

When she fully turned around, the tray slipped of my hands. She turned to me and when she saw me her eyes widened slightly.

"I'm sorry." I levitated the tray and she looked even more surprised." Do I know you? You look awfully familiar."

"Sophia,is that you dear?" She took a step towards me.

"No, I'm her daughter, Emilia, my mother died 14 years ago." I explained giving her my hand and she shook it.

She nodded." Of course, I have much to do right now, but we'll talk later." She left with Lydia and her guards.

"Come with me, I have to inform Izzy." We walked and arrived at her door. With a movement of my hand, I opened the door, without letting Raj do it.

"The Inquisitor has arrived, your trial starts this evening." Alec announced as we walked into the room, Izzy's back facing us.

"You know what?" She faced us." I'd rather be stripped of my runes and sent into exile...than be part of this world. What kind of people sacrifice justice for law?" She asked rhetorically.

"That's very noble, Izzy." I nodded.

"But the high road's not gonna look so great when you're running for your life from a pack of demons with no Shadowhunter powers to protect you."Alec argued.

"Jocelyn lived as a mundane." Izzy defended.

"You know Jocelyn had her runes and her weapons. You think demons won't find you? You haven't kept a low profile. You can't let them convict you. You need an advocate."

*******

Izzy and I waited anxiously for Alec's return. I had decided to stay with her, I wanted help her forget but it didn't work. Raj kept trying to open the door to tell me that my time with her was over but I would always close it.

We talked about everything and anything but I still could see her nervousness.

"Do you think Magnus is going to accept becoming my advocate?" She asked.

"I... I don't know, I really don't know him and by the looks of it he likes to be payed. So maybe Alec is going to pay him."

She only looked at the floor." Look Izzy, if you ever get derunned and exiled, I'll come with you and protect you. I'll learn you the mundane way of things and you'll experience college and all."

"Why would you leave?"

"This world has nothing more to offer me. And you'll need a guide into the mundane world. But don't worry, it won't happen, you're going to live a long live as a Shadowhunter and I will come whenever you need me, I'm only leaving on Alec's wedding day." I slightly smiled.