Chapter 18

*one year later*

"Wake up, slinthead!"

I heard groaning from the boy I was trying to awaken.

"Alright, I'm ditching you," I strutted out of the room and into the Glade. I saw Minho with his hair in perfect attention, again. Sometimes I wondered if he woke up at four in the morning, styling his hair. He nodded at me in greeting as I ran over to Fry, grabbing the pack of food from him.

"Someone's a ray of sunshine again," Fry snorted.

"Why shouldn't I be?" I chortled.

"Maybe it's the fact that you still haven't made up for the fire in my kitchen," he grumbled.

I laughed and clapped my hand on his shoulder.

"I am making up for it: I'm staying out of your kitchen ever since," I pointed out.

He huffed, but eventually grinned at me. I waved my hand at him and left, going towards Minho. He looked at me and looked around as if looking for something.

"Where's shuckface?" he asked.

"Are you talking about yourself?" I sniggered.

"No you shank. I'm talking about Robbie," he rolled his eyes.

"Oh, I don't know. He's totally not drooling into his pillows again. Honestly, how did he wake up when I wasn't a runner?"

"I woke him," he shook his head. He huffed and strutted towards Robbie in his hammock with me trailing after him, not wanting to miss this fun.

"ROBERT YOU SHUCKING SHUCKFACE GET THE HELL UP SO WE CAN RUN!" Minho bellowed at poor Robbie, who, surprised, jolted up, lost his balance, slammed his forehead against Minho's (who had been bending over Robbie), and tumbled out of his hammock, landing with a THUMP and in a messy heap.

They both erupted into loads of cursing and swearing when Newt huffed and towered over them both.

"LANGUAGE," he screamed.

By now, I was laughing and rolling around on the ground, clutching my stomach and gasping for air.

"Alright, klunkheads. Let's go wait by the doors, we've got about five minutes before the doors open," I gasped out when I was done laughing.

We grabbed our stuff like we always did, and waited till the doors opened. Ben was running alone for the first time today while I ran with Robbie. It was a new unspoken rule that Newt's constant nagging made: I wasn't to run alone. Minho was running with Vera, one of the girls that had come up into the Glade after I arrived. There was a new pattern now: the box would come up once a month, carrying a boy or a girl. Whether it was a girl or boy was unpredictable, but I felt like I'd triggered something unintentionally, causing several unlucky girls to end up here with me and fifty other boys.

There were now three girls in the Glade, excluding me. Their names were Harper, Veronica (aka Vera), and Florence (aka Ren). I went along well with two of them, but one of them decided to absolutely hate my guts.

Vera was my usual running partner other than Robbie. She had been the second girl to come up to the maze and had auburn hair cut short, and was very likeable. She was usually my partner-in-crime and my best friend other than Minho, Newt, Ren, and Robbie. She was, obviously, a Runner.

Harper hated me with all her strength. Her hair was light brown and long. She seemed to regard me as an enemy and gave Minho and Newt chills. They'd come to me once, creeped out by her constant clinginess and dishonesty. Vera and I decided her nickname was "the Vixen". She was a Builder.