Chapter 28

When we arrived at Alby's room, he was looking at the wall, his eyes bloodshot and tired. Newt softly stepped in, breaking Alby's stupor.

"I brought them," Newt cautiously spoke. Alby grunted and signalled Newt to leave. Newt hesitated, angering Alby, before he eventually stormed out of the room.

"Thomas. I remember the world before this place," Alby started. We held our breaths. "We can't get out of here. Once we do, we'll be back in hell. I remember this disease, called the Flare. It did things to us, things that shouldn't happen again."

The boy had tears in his eyes as he spoke. He then proceeded to make eye contact with Thomas.

"The creators. You were there, and so was Zia. I don't remember the details, but-"

Suddenly, Alby was writhing as he started strangling himself. Thomas froze for a moment, and then joined me in trying to pry his hands away from himself.

"Alby! Alby! Stop!" I yelled.

"Newt! Newt, help!" Thomas hollered.

We successfully managed to get one of his hands away from his throat, only to be caught in surprise as he flung Thomas away from him and started to strangle me instead. I choked and desperately scratched his hands, reaching up at Alby, as his nails dug into my neck, making blood trickle. I felt my blood pounding in my ears as Thomas got up from the floor, clutching his head and tackling Alby off of me.

I gasped for breath, spluttering as I tumbled off of the bed and looked up to see Alby and Thomas scuffling. Newt decided to walk in just then, taking in the scene, and rushed over to Alby who had gone back to strangling himself. Together with Thomas, he pinned Alby's arms down and Clint ran in with a sedative. The three of them injected the boy and put him back on the bed. I stood by him for a second before walking out. He caught my wrist and mumbled something.

"Protect the maps. Be strong, Zia. You're different from all of us. If anyone can protect us, you can," Alby murmured before knocking out.

I turned away from him after giving him a short nod. I felt a lump in my throat, as I shut the door gently, turning back to Thomas and Newt. Alby expected me to be strong. He expected me to protect them all. And I had to. Because I nodded to his pleas, now I had to. It wasn't something that I naturally wanted to do now, it was something that was like a mission.