chapter 2

My eyes fluttered open only to be assaulted by a bright light. "Fucking cauldron!"

"Language." A voice purred from a dark corner of the room. Did he just... scold me?

I scoffed and moved to stand, but I couldn't. My wrists were tied to the armrest and my ankles to the legs of a wooden chair. I quickly noticed that my right glove was nowhere to be found. "My apologies Dad I didn't know I was at the Mother's service." I teased towards the hidden male.

Another figure shifted behind me, and then came to stand around me.

"Shadow male! You know, this whole kidnapping thing isn't the best way to start out our friendship, but I'm willing to see past that." I shrugged and smiled up at the male, who wore an incredulous look. "Besides, I'll probably do something to piss you off anyway so we'll call it even eventually." I winked, then looked to the other male in the room. "Sorry Dad, I didn't say 'piss you off' I said 'anger you.'"

A third male snickered behind me, and the first male, Dad, shot him a glare. My blood vibrated with excitement—a challenge.

The shadow male crouched in front of me and narrowed his eyes at me. His shadows lazily swirled behind him and rested on his shoulders. He had large wings, maybe that's why I'm not dead yet— they noticed my unclipped wings and they're going to clip them.

"What's your name?" The shadow male's voice came out lethal and calm at the same time. I refrained from shivering.

Instead, I grinned wider. "You didn't have to tie me up to get my name. You could've just asked, I'm desperate for communication these days, probably would've talked your ear off in that alley if you hadn't so rudely put me to sleep, friend."

"We can tell you're desperate. Name, now." Dad stepped forward and put his hands in his pockets. He didn't have wings, but that doesn't mean he won't want to clip mine too.

"How about this Dad, I'll tell you my name if you get me some water." I winked and he rolled his violet eyes.

Then, he winnowed out of the room and came back a second later with a glass of water.

Winnowing.

Perfect.

I reached my fingers forward on my right hand, indicating that I would grab the glass, but I was stuck. The shadow male begrudgingly pulled out a dagger and cut the rope. "Do anything stupid and you'll regret it."

Oh this was just too good. I smiled innocently at the shadow male, then grabbed the glass from Dad's hand, brushing his fingertips. The breath of power surged through me like a tornado. This male was powerful.

I could control that now. I could control the mimicking part of my siphoning. So luckily, Dad didn't have to part with his wicked abilities just yet. However, I haven't figured out how to control myself if I wanted to siphon more. It would be a tossup between taking away their abilities and killing them. I don't plan on testing that out today at least.

I took a sip of water and set it down on the armrest. "Thank you," I said to Dad, then turned to the shadow male. "You know, I'm starting a tally on how many threats I'll receive from you. Just know that I'm a loyal friend, but also a fair one." The shadow male groaned and stood up straight. "Don't worry! I value our friendship deeply! I would never hurt your feelings, Shadow male." I smiled at him and he crossed his arms at me, wearing the same frown. He hasn't smiled once.

"Name." Dad retied my right wrist to the chair.

I contemplated not giving my real name, but I don't use it anyway. When I'm out thieving, I go by my mother's name, Mara, so I think I'll be honest just this once.