after

A year ago I met my family and found my home.

I just didn't know it yet.

I wore a lilac dress and washed myself in the Sidra to prepare for the most life changing day. It was humorous to think about. Me scrubbing myself clean in the dark and shaving my legs and armpits in the vast river out of sight.

Sometimes I would visit that bridge where I lived. The evidence of my inhabitants was long gone, but the memories were still there. I remember coming back every night with a stockpile of food and firewood. I remember going insane most nights thinking about how fucked up my life was. I remember living in complete fear of my father, then drinking myself numb until I couldn't feel anymore. They weren't fond memories, not when I had so many new ones that made me feel whole.

With a sigh, I sat in front of my vanity in my home—the Townhouse that Nyx and I claimed for ourselves. I raked oils through my hair to give it that shine and curl that used to be so rare to me before. I lightly painted my face with makeup that I never used to bother with for lack of care.

When I was done, I slid on a black dress that clung to my body in the best ways. It was decorated with tiny scattered diamonds and shined off the moonlight with every step I took—a gift from Nyx on the last Winter Solstice. I clasped another Winter Solstice gift around my neck after carefully placing my small onyx necklace in my jewelry box. Amren had placed a familiar velvet box in front of me that day, and instantly I knew what it was. I couldn't help the tears that fell when I opened the gift, and I laughed at everyone's shock when I pulled her into a hug, only for her to return the hug with full force. Around my neck sat the intricate necklace that I stole from her. The large onyx stones, a shadow, surrounded by tiny diamonds, a halo.

After sliding on a pair of black heels, I stood and walked into the bathroom, where Nyx was fixing his hair. He turned to me immediately and raked his eyes up and down my body with a groan. "We don't have to go. I'd much rather spend the night pleasuring you."

I giggled and wrapped my arms around his torso, relishing the feel of his soft black shirt against my bare hands. "We can play later."

He hummed in approval and kissed the top of my head before returning to his hair. "I have something for you."

My eyebrows raised in excitement as I pulled back from him. He held up his palm and I gasped when I saw what it was. A small silver band with a large onyx stone surrounded by tiny diamonds—a ring. "Nyx if you're proposing you have to do better than that."

He let out a soft chuckle, then got down on one knee. "Belladonna Haven, you are my everything. You are my ending and my beginning. The most beautiful and kind Fae that I've ever met. I am constantly in awe of you, of everything you've survived and achieved. It would be an honor to call you my wife Bella. Will you marry me?"

I choked out a laugh through tears and nodded my head vigorously. "Yes."

As Nyx stood, his smile was brighter than the moon and the stars combined. It rivaled the sun on the Summer Solstice and the dreaded Mother's light on any given day. He slid the ring onto the fourth finger of my left hand then placed a kiss to the back of it. I closed my eyes tight at the feeling of his lips touching my hand—a feeling that I would never get used to, but Nyx always reminded me of.

"I love you, Nyx." I whispered before kissing him gently on the lips.

"I love you too, Bella." He smiled at me again, holding me tight against him.

As we landed on the balcony at the House of Wind. Two high-pitched shrieks echoed from inside the house. Heels clicked on the floor as Adira and Maeve ran out and captured me in a tight hug, then pulled me away to grab my hand. "The asshole really did it." Adira snorted as she observed the ring.

"It's about damn time." A voice drawled from behind the twins.

I laughed and walked over to give Cal a hug. "Happy Starfall."

Cal pulled away and smiled down at me. "Happy Starfall indeed. It seems like it was just yesterday when you and I bonded over watching the Fae couple have eye sex over dinner."

I snorted and slapped him playfully on the arm. "I wonder if they ever made it back home."

He chuckled as we all walked inside and greeted everyone else. Elain had greeted me first with a congratulations and told me about how she replanted the white roses. Lucien and I got into an argument about who could braid hair faster. Cassian, Mor, Adira and I got ourselves into a drinking competition—Mor had not-so-graciously won. Nesta, Amren, Maeve and I played a round of cards only to have our money taken by Maeve. Feyre and I danced all night long to the music, occasionally passing me off to Nyx. Finally, I sat with Rhysand on the balcony overlooking Velaris.

"Why did you steal the necklace?" Rhysand finally said after a long moment of silence.

I raised an eyebrow at him as my hand went to touch the cool gems around my neck. "Because it was shiny and I wanted it."

Rhysand snorted, then turned to me. "I strongly disliked you when I first met you."

I let out a chuckle. "The feeling was mutual Dad." I teased him with the nickname I gave him before I knew who he was, but now I suppose it was pretty fitting.

He smiled down at me a put his arm around my shoulder as I leaned my head against his. "Thank you." He whispered as the first "stars" started to fall.

I furrowed my eyes together and looked up at him. "For what?"

He looked down at me with such a serious expression it made my heart melt. "For saving us."

Everyone quickly joined us on the balcony to watch the show. Nyx took a seat next to me as Rhys moved to stand with Feyre. "You okay?" He asked as he placed a kiss to my temple.

A chill went through my body. "Yes." I breathed. "I'm alive."