chapter 8

It was impossible to hold my wings up after training with Feyre all morning. At first I didn't know what to make of it. I didn't know how to feel. Then, I thought of how proud my mother would be to see me learning to fly again. So, I put all of my effort into training.

Feyre was incredibly patient with me. I tend to get frustrated with myself at my shortcomings, so it was nice to have a teacher that seemed to understand.

I'm not looking forward to training my abilities with Rhys. Something tells me he won't be as patient. Maybe it's just the impression he gives off, or maybe it's because the majority of the inner circle has come to watch.

They could just be curious, but Cassian's evil smirk is sending me mixed signals.

Rhys and I stood a foot apart facing each other in a clearing deep in the forest. I fought the ache in my back as I raised my wings. The ends left the blades of vibrant green below me and I felt the lazy wind replace where my wings had once been. The strong earthy scent of the woods filled my senses and reminded me of my father's house. I wondered if he was still looking for me. I wondered if he even knew my mother was dead. They weren't mates, so there wouldn't be any way he could tell.

I shook my head and refocused on the male in front of me. He crossed his arms and allowed his face to calm as he nodded to my hand. "Show me what you can do."

Sighing, I held my right hand out for him to take. Someone shifted in the small crowd, maybe they were nervous. I did say I could kill someone and this is their High Lord. I would be nervous too.

Rhys uncrossed his hands and held onto my outstretched one. I immediately felt the breeze of his power run through me. Before it got out of hand, I focused on mimicking, then sent the breeze back before I couldn't anymore. Then, I took back my hand from his.

His power thrummed through me untamed. "What should I do?" I asked, wonder lacing my tone.

Rhys chuckled lightly. "Something other than winnowing."

I rolled my eyes, but I could feel the power inside of me begging to be released. It was a dark energy, one that could be manipulated to move where I wanted.

So, I unleashed it and let it flow around me. It was as dark as the night sky and flowed around me in a calming wave. I stared at it in awe, smiling as I felt it spread through the trees. I dropped my smile and tried to move it away from the small crowd, but it was a little difficult to control.

"Reel it in Belladonna." Rhys's voice was calm and confident, it warmed my heart.

I tried so hard to pull the darkness back in, but I didn't have the strength. Luckily, I could feel the power sputter slightly, then fade away completely. I sighed and my face fell in defeat. "Sorry." I muttered.

"Try doing it again, but this time control it to a tighter area." Rhys held out his hand again and I took it, feeling that wave of air fill my lungs yet again.

This time, I focused more on containing the darkness than utilizing it, but I just couldn't keep it back. After trying for the fifth time, I became incredibly frustrated. The small crowd leaned against the trees and occasionally offered words of encouragement. It would've made my heart warm, but right now their kindness is annoying me.

Because I can't do it.

I can't control it.

Fuck it, I let my wings fall as I braced my hands on my knees and blew out a frustrated breath.

"Stand up and pick up your wings." Rhys said flatly.

"Don't tell me what to do." I shot back.

"I wouldn't have to tell you what to do if you tried harder." Rhys had an amused tilt to his tone. I lifted my head to glare at him, and noticed his face seemed completely surprised, like nobody has shone him attitude in a while.